Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: SRW vs DRW
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> SRW vs DRW

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/21 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All else being equal - Until the tires lose traction, braking is solely controlled by the area of the pad and the pressure applied by the caliper

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/21 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have more contact surface, you'll have more friction/braking. That's why race cars have very wide tires: bigger tires=better grip.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/21 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

If you have more contact surface, you'll have more friction/braking. That's why race cars have very wide tires: bigger tires=better grip.

Yep!! I can tell you paid attention in your HS physics class.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

pressure_welder

brandon

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/21 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cant say that I can compare SRW to DRW braking characteristics as ive only ever towed heavy with a dually or our semi for the business. I can say that my 2015 cummins pulled and stopped night and day compared to our 07 but that's to be expected. I can also attest that our cummins pulled and handled our rigs better than my 2015 gmc dually. Id use our Kenworth but that's REALLY not family friendly.

Essentially just keeping an eye out for a lower KM ram 3500 srw, mega cab would be nice but I also haven't towed with a short box I understand that has his own set of issues. With the cost of new trucks now-a-days I wont ever buy a brand new one off the lot again. At 93,000$ for our 2015 I just about puked. My father inlaw just dropped that SAME number last week on a 2021 GMC AT4 3/4 ton.... you cant be serious.

2015 RAM cummins 3500 dually Limited
2018 Montana high country
crestliner sportfish

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/21 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now that we’ve established that, the Reason for the Ops truck selection should not be braking power.
If he really has that light of pin weight , that is also not part of the equation.
If the setup tows nice and steady then a srw will do fine.
Of all things, the sheer length and the fact it’s doubles, the stability of a dually I have to believe would be welcome. Whether it’s necessary, is subjective.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/21 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

The contact patch width of my skinny rear tires combined is not much wider than modern 3500 srw tires.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/21 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"At 93,000$ for our 2015 I just about puked."

Are you in Canada??? CUZ My fully loaded Longhorn was 63k in 2015.

Flashman

Tucson, Aizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/21 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Consider a train - very small contact surface and pulling more than any RV. It is psi on the contact patch - the larger the patch the less PSI if the weight is the same.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/21 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flashman wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Consider a train - very small contact surface and pulling more than any RV. It is psi on the contact patch - the larger the patch the less PSI if the weight is the same.
Now if that were true, race cars and dragsters would have very skinny tires. But they don't, why do you suppose that is?

Flashman

Tucson, Aizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/21 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Flashman wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Now if that were true, race cars and dragsters would have very skinny tires. But they don't, why do you suppose that is?

Don't know.

But when trying for traction off road a skinny tire is better in many situations. If one wants to float as opposed to digging in then wide tires are better. If one wants to dig down to traction the thin tire is better.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> SRW vs DRW
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.