cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gas shortages along Interstates

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anyone had trouble or heard of anyone stranded along the Interstate system for lack of fuel?? We are planning a trip to Staunton Virginia and was just wondering about how things were along the Interstate. Is this a bad time to hit the road??
48 REPLIES 48

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
Well. It was a successful heist for the ransomers. I thought they only took on around 4 million but apparently it was close to five million. Wonder when theyโ€™ll do it again?

What I actually wonder is the retaliation. Someone in the know might have slipped that there is already a tit-for-tat cyber war going on. One, that somehow get into the news was the Iran incident -- and everybody wondered whether it's the US or Israael, equally capable, did it.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
GDS-3950BH wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I wonder how much fuel was wasted in an effort to hoard during this very brief issue.
We are doomed if there is ever a real hardship.
I wonder how much canned food was wasted last March when they made a run on canned goods at grocery stores? Saw a guy with as many cases of beans as he could cram in a shopping cart. He is probably looking at them stacked up in his garage, wondering what in the hell he is going to do with them.
Yes this would seem like the type that also sells stocks as they are crashing and repurchase once they have recovered. Takes discipline to do the opposite of the masses.

Hoard when things are plentiful, conserve during a shortage.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I wonder how much fuel was wasted in an effort to hoard during this very brief issue.

I wonder how much canned food was wasted last March when they made a run on canned goods at grocery stores? Saw a guy with as many cases of beans as he could cram in a shopping cart. He is probably looking at them stacked up in his garage, wondering what in the hell he is going to do with them.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Well. It was a successful heist for the ransomers. I thought they only took on around 4 million but apparently it was close to five million. Wonder when theyโ€™ll do it again?

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
We are getting back to normal in NE Alabama, the stations are getting enough deliveries around here finally. But it was a pain to search for fuel the last few days. First time I have ever seen multiple stations out of diesel locally. It didn't slow me down much though, just had to to find a station farther away from the busier highways. Thankfully I had full tanks before I went to SC, I usually always top off before hitching up.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think they said 55% no gas here in NC this morning so its getting better.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
In DC and Richmond there are idiots fighting over spots in line. 60 so miles west we have no lines and it's business as usual, have only seen one station without gas all week out here in the country.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
Reisender,

What chemistry are the backup batteries?

AGM31โ€™s

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Reisender,

What chemistry are the backup batteries?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Heh heh. Our home UPS is a little over 2 KWH. Enough to keep the fridge going for a day or two. Our backup is a 3.4 kw quiet generator that we run on propane which we store in about 7 x 20 lb propane tanks under our deck where the wind can get to any fumes. We can even charge the tesla if we had to. But mostly we would run it twice a day for an hour to replenish the UPS batteries. Works well.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reisender wrote:
A couple of pictures for levity.

Untitled by radar231, on Flickr
Just wait until the electric grid is subjected to the same shut down ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh wait, the gas pumps and pipelines would also shut down with no grid power ๐Ÿ˜ž

I would rather brave the risk of a few power wall batteries than 20+ gallons of gasoline stored in the garage.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
At least two of em have managed to set their vehicles on fire. (One while fleeing LEOs on a stolen tag).
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

BrentB
Explorer
Explorer
Mike134 wrote:
BrentB wrote:
% stations without gasoline, 8pm CT, change since last update:
AL 8% -1%
DC 88% NC
DE 3% -1%
FL 25% -2%
GA 46% -1%
KY 3% +1%
LA 0% NC
MD 39% NC
MS 6% -1%
NC 67% +2%
NJ 1% NC
SC 49% +1%
TN 29% -2%
TX 0% NC
VA 43% -2%
WV 6% NC

Brent apricate the listing. Where are you finding the percentages from?

Thank you

Gas Buddy