Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First Time

jcohen1216
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all!

My daughter (11) and I (38) are renting an RV this summer for a week long trip to Shenandoah National Park. This will be our first time with an RV, and I have a question regarding RV Parks. In my reading, it seems as though there is quite a lot of etiquette involved in staying in an RV Park. Of course I want to make sure that we are doing everything on the up and up and not impeding on anybody else's stay.

The RV we are renting will be our only mode of transportation. As such, we will be using it to travel around the park, and to and from our other destinations. It seems that a lot of people seem to tow a car or have another mode of transportation with them. Is it common to come and go in an RV throughout the day?

Thanks so much for any advice!
16 REPLIES 16

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
watch the tail swing, width is greater than an auto, three speeds slow, slower and stop

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 26' Phoenix Cruiser here and if we stay at a "touristy" type park we rent a car for the day of what ever. In the park, to get a bag of ice, ice cream cone, whatever we use our bicycles. Something else to carry around, but they do come in handy.
Good luck to you and safe travels.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Using an RV as a commuter vehicle will generally work out best if its about 24-feet or less. But you can always try it and see how it works out for you. An alternative would be an Enterprise rent a car (or anyone that will bring it to you).

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
And walk around the unit whenever you are going to drive it out. You want to make sure that the electric, water, sewer and cable connections are stowed. Check the TV aerial. Check the steps and any slide-outs.
Be cautious about where you leave the unit downtown. People have an idea how much stuff there is in an RV. We tend to take up 2 to 4 parking spots (a 30-footer) and it's nice to have a drive-through.

We only used the rig for touring on one trip. Ever since then we've rented a car.
David and Dayle

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also remember you don't need to hook up the water and sewer hose all the time you pull into a site. Just fill the fresh water tank and use it till you need to refill it. And drain the gray and black tanks as they fill up. This will save you time when you want to take off for the day sight seeing. The electric you may want to hook up each night if the site has electricity, will let you use the microwave and A/C if you have it.
When you hook up the sewer hose drain a little gray water first to make sure connections are not leaking, then shut the gray, and drain the black tank then the gray tank to flush out the sewer have. Have fun
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Stop (often) and smell the flowers, see the sights/views/attractions.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Welcome!
And hope you have a wonderful trip.
The fact that you asked about etiquette means you have about 90% of it already down pat, as you must already be a considerate person.
You don't need to tow a car. 24' isn't any sort of real or physical limitation, although longer = more care needs to be taken, especially if you're not used to driving large vehicles.

And yes, if you pull up camp during the day, it's customary to leave something marking your campsite as occupied, if it's not essentially an RV park, where your camp site registration is monitored by a host on site.
Helps keep A holes from poaching your site.

Good luck, have fun.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The SNP has numerous scenic turnouts that will be more of an issue with a large RV. Plan on early or less congested times to stop at those. Try to keep your RV out of the way as best you can, unlike โ€œthat guyโ€ that hogs the limited space.

As mentioned earlier, donโ€™t walk thru the campsites of others without permission. The SNP is one place where I was hiking (bushwhacking) thru thick brush and broke out at an occupied campsite, the โ€œladyโ€ had a fit.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
If you take a dog, don't let it bark much or run loose.

Don't drain your soapy water (we call that "gray water", versus the "black water" of the toilet tank) on the ground.

When backing into a campsite, don't just look around behind you. Look UP, too! Don't ask me how I learned... ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You'll have a great time! Yes, some sightsee in their RV and go in and out of their campground space. Doesn't bother me or anyone else as far as I know.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
definitely leave something in your site to show it is not available. some people use orange cones, others leave a sign or an old lawn chair.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Talk to other campers, most of us will assist and answer any questions. OR, explain any issues you need explained.

Night noise and bright night-lights are something that often annoys other campers.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
That will be a nice trip! Plan on leaving very early in the morning to get off the island. The Cross Bronx gets awful after 6 am! The BQE is hair raising for any rv. Once you hit Jersey it will be a lot better. Make sure you reserve your spot(s) as far in advance as you can. Ask the campground if you need to leave something in your site while you are gone as some will see an empty spot as available. As mentioned above, common sense tends to prevail when figuring what should and shouldn't be done in a campground. Just imagine the way you would expect those around you to act and you will be ok. Have a great trip!
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds like a wonderful vacation!

Etiquette is far less complicated than it sometimes appears here. Basically, if you act respectfully towards the other campers, you'll be doing very well...which means such things as avoiding loud noises during quiet hours, not walking through other occupied sites, driving at reasonable (slow) speeds through the campground, and those sorts of common-sense things.

There's nothing wrong at all with taking the motorhome to leave and drive around for awhile. Setting up and tearing down camp can be a bit of a hassle, lessened by not setting up more than you need. (It's things like clearing off the counters and stowing junk properly that I find the most annoying in these sorts of situations; if you try to keep unnecessary odds and ends to a minimum, and put things away when you're done using them, it'll help.)

I recommend putting together some sort of a checklist for breaking camp to be sure you don't forget to do something. When you discover something that you forget to do, add it to the checklist for the next times.