cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding travel time to Google maps

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I use google maps allot while towing. Looking at the estimated time of the trip I'm wondering if you routinely add time to the Google estimate. I normally allow an extra hour for a trip that maps says will take 5 hrs or so. Interested to hear what others do.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
18 REPLIES 18

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Love Google maps, been using it for navigation for at least 5-6 years now. I still have a couple Garmins still on the shelf collecting dust. I like the live traffic, suggested detours when there is construction or accidents etc. Time seems accurate when driving solo but I also figure 50mph towing as well.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use x-ways only when necessary so go thru small towns. We figure an average of 45 miles per hour and that figure also allows for a brief breaks to walk around a bit ( 10 min) and a half hour lunch period. Many US highways are divided 4 lane with a lot less traffic, so that's our choice when possible.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm also a 50MPH average kind of guy. Almost always works well to give a fairly accurate eta.

Google maps eta drives me nuts. Even though I know they are way off, it still drives me nuts that they say I'm going to get there at such-and-such a time. At times when I've not been towing I've experimented to see if it is even possible to meet their eta expectations by driving the speed limit. Couldn't do it. I suspect that their eta is calculated by using data from other drivers, whom we all know mostly exceed the speed limit all the time. I don't think you can meet google maps eta without speeding.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
50ish mph average, not matter what the mapping software or GPS says.

Over 7 years full-timing, 46 states, that's about right.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm also a "50 mph" person. That number includes gas stops but not meal stops. After many years of experience, we have determined that 50 is a real-world number -- a 400 mile trip really takes 8 hours.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
I still use my Microsoft Streets and Trips 2011 version to plan. Then I compare it what Google Maps says. I often need to add a destination to Google.
MS S&T lets me set my speed at the slowest and also lets me add in rest breaks.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
I also add a lot of time to Googles time. I agree with gbopp, 50 mph average, so I just count on 2 hours per hundred miles. Not much thinking involved.

X2!! arrival time using this method has always been within 15 mins on 300-400 mile trips.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Though I use a Garmin dash mount GPS, I do use Google maps when planning my route. (Note: I don't have a smartphone hence the Garmin). I actively look for gas stops that are easy in/out, other stops, etc. To answer your question, if Google says 5 hours (your example) on an A to B route (meaning: no big stops other than maybe gas), I will add 1 to 1.5 hours of time.

Keep in mind Google figures time based on speedlimits and other factors, and it does not consider RV speeds...so yes, i do add time.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I use Google Maps mainly to get a idea of traffic in front of us while traveling. What ever the mileage is says to the destination I just divide by 50 and disregard their estimate arrival time.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never use Google maps for anything. I live on a highly traveled main road, in a small town, just of I77. If I ask Google to find my house it canโ€™t do it. Apple Maps does, Garmin does, just not Google. So if it canโ€™t find me, Iโ€™m not using it.

But then again I donโ€™t use anything owned by Google other than perhaps Utube to find out how to do something.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
I also add a lot of time to Googles time. I agree with gbopp, 50 mph average, so I just count on 2 hours per hundred miles. Not much thinking involved.

I'm going to use this.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)

dedmiston
50 mph is accurate for us and it makes the math easy to do in your head.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
From what I can tell, in many places Google Maps uses the actual speed limit in their calculations. I find the projected travel times are not something I can achieved in the western states, as I just won't tow at 80 MPH in Utah for instance. But in states where the speed limit is say 65 MPH, I am closer to what Google Maps projects. But on longer days (300+ miles) I always add an hour or so. Maybe lunch, a gasoline stop, and three or four bathroom breaks! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I've found the Google maps estimates to be not too far off for me in my motorhome, for just driving time (not including fuel stops, lunch stops, detours when trying to get back on the route after a fuel or lunch stop, and such like)--at least close enough for rough planning purposes. Driving a motorhome isn't exactly like towing, of course. I do tend to cruise around the speed limit most of the time, at least here in the Northeast where we don't have super high limits.