cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anybody still going out?

dedmiston
Are any toy haulers still hitting the deserts, or have you all called it quits for this season. We already went for our last off-road trip of the season, but this weekend looks like perfect weather if we didn't already have other plans.

For anyone still going out, have a great trip and post some photos.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
13 REPLIES 13

dedmiston
lamopar wrote:
We rode out east of Bend Oregon last weekend. I have never seen it so dusty this early. Not one trail had any water holes in them. After camping there for 5 days it may take as many to get the toy hauler cleaned for next weekend at the dunes. I am sure we will not camp out in the high desert again until fall when it rains a bit. Time to take the boat out on the lakes and ride at the dunes or in the mountains.

Different, but similar down here. For the past few years we've seen the most incredible wildflower blooms in the deserts, but this year was bone dry and the only things that bloomed were the barrel cactus. The blooms looked funny, like packing foam had caught in the thorns. But my wife googled them and they're cotton top cactus.

Sorry to hear it's so dry for you guys up there.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
We rode out east of Bend Oregon last weekend. I have never seen it so dusty this early. Not one trail had any water holes in them. After camping there for 5 days it may take as many to get the toy hauler cleaned for next weekend at the dunes. I am sure we will not camp out in the high desert again until fall when it rains a bit. Time to take the boat out on the lakes and ride at the dunes or in the mountains.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
ORbiker wrote:
Near Challan, WA

Actually that's not really all that close to Chelan, but it is very close to Leavenworth and Wenatchee, and IN Cashmere. That's the Chelan County Faigrounds.

YES

Thanks for the correction.
Chelan County Fairgrounds. The price was way better then Leavenworth.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
ORbiker wrote:
Near Challan, WA

Actually that's not really all that close to Chelan, but it is very close to Leavenworth and Wenatchee, and IN Cashmere. That's the Chelan County Faigrounds.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bedlam
Twice a month year round we go out but the locations change based on the weather. Maybe you should hit the coastal breeze or highest elevations when the desert valleys get hot?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
yes, done until the fall, not sure where/when we're camping this summer.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
We are done with the desert for the season. Our next trip is to Vail Lake RV early next month.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Triple digit temps have arrived in southern Arizona. These can easily be avoided by simply retreating up to the higher elevations but be advised getting a site is getting be be next to impossible. Most popular CG's are booked for the entire summer as everybody and their dog bought an RV last year.

:S

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
I live in western Oregon and ride a road bike ( was a Victory XCT and now back to my 2005 Road King ). March 2020 (when covid started) we were camping at the Oregon Coast for the 3rd trip that year. April; we got a monthly member spot in Central Oregon and went back and forth on the weekend for 3 or 4 nights each week. We got in a few rides from camp. Memorial week was in NE Oregon for 10 day ( 4th annual trip with 5er, 12th trip overall).
We have NOT altered our fun and travels one bit. We had an awesome 2 week trip in Sept to NE Oregon and south Washington. Rainier NP and Mt St Hellen we great.
We go where it's NOT HOT ( hot being 80*).

I'm ready for my Memorial Week trip, which starts next Thursday. KEN

Near La Grande, OR

Near Challan, WA ( correction Chelan County Fairgrounds )

On a walk around Magone Lake after a peaceful ( very little traffic ) on the Victory to get here.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

dedmiston
Dick_B wrote:
Did I read this correctly. An RVer is thinking of calling it quits while we have yet to go on trip #1 because of the cool weather in the Midwest and the pandemic!!

Our riding season is late October / early November through May, but it's been so dry this year that it's way too hot and dusty to ride now. Last year at this time we had some of the best wild flowers ever, but nothing really bloomed this year except for the "cotton head" barrel cacti.

I think we camped more this year than ever before. We started in the fall when it cooled down and we went out with just two other families in our pod. It's pretty easy to isolate and socially distance out there, so we did that instead of sitting around at home doing more jigsaw puzzles.

We kept up a good pace of every other weekend most of this season. Some weekends we even did back to back trips.

Now we're looking at beaches and RV parks with pools. ๐Ÿ˜ž

The nice thing about riding with all of these small groups is that we found more incredible new trails and spots than we have in the past 5+ years. It's hard to explore when we're in a huge group with 10+ cars, but with just one or two others, it's pretty easy to try new things and turn around if the trails don't go through. Lots of new pins and trails saved on the GPS.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
I ride all year around in SoCal and when it gets HOT I head towards the mountains it's cool in the early AM for rides.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Y-Guy
Dick_B - here in the Toy Hauler forum there are a lot of owners in the SoCal area that take dirt bikes, ATVs and SxS out in the desert - this time of year it gets to hot to ride.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Did I read this correctly. An RVer is thinking of calling it quits while we have yet to go on trip #1 because of the cool weather in the Midwest and the pandemic!!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)