cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 5th wheel vent fan install

jconnally
Explorer
Explorer
I've just replaced my 5th wheel with a 2021 Cougar 354fls. Since it has a front living and rear bed/bath the roof height in the bathroom means I can't reach the vent to open. I'm replacing with a Maxxfan with the remote.

So here's my problems/questions.

First, my previous 5th wheel had an EDPM roof and I'm not sure what keystone is using on this model. Both sides of the membrane are white and from what I understand EDPM has a dark backside and TPO is white on both sides. Here's a photo of the membrane:
[img][/img]

Second, whatever sealant Keystone used at the factory is very tough and appears welded to the membrane. It doesn't appear to be dicor, perhaps silicone? It is very solid, somewhat pliable but extremely difficult to remove to prep the surface and I'm concerned about puncturing the membrane. I've tried mineral spirits with no success although I haven't let it set for very long.
Here's a photo with the vent removed and the sealant that needs to be removed.

Any suggestions or comments are welcomed.

Thanks
Joe
2008 Chevy 3500 SRW Duramax/Allison
2011 Sierra 345RET 38'10"
(2) Honda EU2000
4 REPLIES 4

jconnally
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny G1 wrote:
Just put some Dicor down and put the new fan in and more Dicor after you screw it down, had the same problem when I put mine in and no leaks 3 yrs later, the remote is sure nice, save's getting a chair to stand on to open the old one.

Yep, I thought about that also because it made sense. I've been able to shave the rubber sealant down and was thinking about doubling the butyl tape to make it thicker to ensure a seal and then Dicor the seams. I think I'm really going to like the remote also.

Thanks for the suggestion.
(2) Honda EU2000

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Just put some Dicor down and put the new fan in and more Dicor after you screw it down, had the same problem when I put mine in and no leaks 3 yrs later, the remote is sure nice, save's getting a chair to stand on to open the old one.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

jconnally
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
Heat gun on low.

I tried a heatgun sparingly but it softened the membrane and I was concerned about tearing. This is basically a rubber type sealer and acts just like a firm rubber substance.

I’ll try the heatgun and razer blade cautiously and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion.
(2) Honda EU2000

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heat gun on low.