cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yellowstone Next Week - Freezing Temps Concern

InTheRockies
Explorer
Explorer
I’ll be in Yellowstone next week in my TT and am concerned about temps dipping below freezing at night. My holding tanks are all exposed below the underbelly. I can easily run some RV antifreeze through my supply lines via the water pump and use water containers for my fresh water needs, but am not sure about the waste tanks. I won’t be able to avoid using the gray and black tanks. I can pour antifreeze in the drain lines but it will be diluted by the gray and black waste water. Is the answer just more antifreeze? Any temporary and easy insulation I can rig up for the exposed tanks and low point drains?

Forecasted low temps look to be around 30-35. Am I worrying too much?

Thanks in advance.
2019 Forest River Cherokee Grey Wolf 17BHSE
2006 Ram 1500 SLT Sport 5.7L Hemi, CC, 6.5' box
18 REPLIES 18

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was worried my first few cold nights in my "new" (2019) rig as I do not have tank heaters or anything fancy like that. I have since spent many nights below 30 and two nights where I woke up to 20f and no issues so far. So far I have pictures in 5 states with snow all around my rig. I didn't try to flush tanks at 20f, but nothing broke dropping down there for a few hours late night/early morning and we used the rig normally. My drain/flush valves are what I was most concerned about.
Patrick

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another factor people forget
32 degrees F or 0 C is the freezing point of DISTILLED water at precisely one atmosphere pressure.. Different pressure will change the freezing (and boiling) points.
Impurities will also LOWER the freezing point (And generally raise the boiling point) That water in the black and gray tanks... VERY VERY Impure.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

InTheRockies
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. I’ll take the advice here and not worry about temps in the low 30s.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
A couple weeks ago we experienced several nights below freezing in our travel trailer in Arizona and Utah. The coldest night was 24 degrees. Had absolutely no problems. The only thing I did to prevent problems was to remove the outside shower head from its hose and bring it inside. The valves for the outside shower were still vulnerable, but there wasn't much I could do for them other than keep the bathroom cabinet door open and the bathroom door open to allow warmer air to access the areas closest to the outside shower.

Temps around 30? Nothing to worry about.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I've spent many days below freezing in my trailer. Sounds like I have a bit more insulation than you have, but I wouldn't worry. The heat from the trailer will keep you from freezing. One piece of advice - have at least half a tank of water in your fresh tank. I have been there when the water spigot froze, and I didn't have enough water in my fresh tank to last the day.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to my FIL who was a manager for the Dept Of Agriculture, rapid freezing occurs at 26 deg F. And that means in an hour or two for a water hose. But up in the thirties it is not an issue if the temps are above freezing during the day, most of the time. We had a water hose freeze a few weeks ago outside Bryce, was not watching the weather closely. No big problem, thawed out in a couple hours, no damage.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would not worry until 27 F.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
InTheRockies wrote:
Yes. Most any RV is fine down to 25 while in use.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Water freezes at 32, but where does affluent freeze?
For damage to be done your valves will need to freeze solid, and temps will need to be lower than 30 for a long time.
The solids will not expand like water when frozen, so that is good, but they contain high % of water still.
You will need some sort of tank heater (stick-on heating pads) if you do this a lot. You will need power though.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Looks like 42/24 with rain and snow is the lowest temp.
Not to worry. Have fun!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

InTheRockies
Explorer
Explorer
I’m staying at Mammoth and using the forecast for Gardiner. Northern part of the park is the lowest elevation. Probably worrying too much so thanks for calming the nerves.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Martyn wrote:
InTheRockies wrote:

Yes. 🙂

Probably it has to get down in the 20's for a quick freeze, but at YNP where is that forecast for exactly. There is a lot of altitude variation in the park. This one shows it in the 20's at the end of the week:
Wunderground YNP and it is for West Yellowstone. That's only 6700 ft. Yellowstone Village is almost at 8000 ft.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
InTheRockies wrote:

Yes. 🙂
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I would kick back and let her rip