cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrying a Small Motorcycle?

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 290 lbs enduro motorcycle is like to take with me cross country this summer.

I also have a Dodge Ram Cummins with an Arctic Fox TC. It’s a short bed Ram and the TC has quite an overhang past the rear hitch.

The previous owner apparently did carry a motorcycle on the front of the rig. I remember him mentioning it.

BUT, it has a dual receiver hitch system on the front of the truck and all the motorcycle carriers I can find are single receiver.

How would you carry the bike in my situation? Trying to avoid trailers because I like yo get into tight places with this vehicle.

Note: I already have a single receiver motorcycle rack for the back receiver. But it’s a double receiver in the front, so I can’t use it.
48 REPLIES 48

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
or get rid of all the tie downs with one of these.

Looks great. Ideal. Can’t possibly work if you read the thread though.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
or get rid of all the tie downs with one of these.

2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
I did have a minor disaster with this amateur strap setup. A length of strap came loose, going under the front wheel and beat up the bike a bit. It got ripped from around the bike HARD and broke some stuff.

I have since trimmed the the long ends of the straps down.

Now need to fix a few things on the bike because of it.

HadEnough wrote:
Done!

I went with the advice for the front mount.

By some miracle, the headlights aren’t blocked. Now I just need to put some covers in place for the bugs.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
So good work HadEnough! This went form idk what to do, to done in under a day! Now get going on that trip!

Thank you!!

It’s done and we are on the trip!

Headed in your general direction from Florida

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So good work HadEnough! This went form idk what to do, to done in under a day! Now get going on that trip!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
HadEnough wrote:
mellow wrote:
Did you empty the gas tank on the bike? Front end collision with flammables right in front of me would have me extra worried.

Nope. Only so many things you can really stress about in life without losing your mind. . That’s not one of them for me.

And can't worry about every chicken little in the world.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
mellow wrote:
Did you empty the gas tank on the bike? Front end collision with flammables right in front of me would have me extra worried.

Nope. Only so many things you can really stress about in life without losing your mind. . That’s not one of them for me.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Consider buying some 1 1/2 inch motorcycle tiedowns from a bike shop. The extra width makes it easier to attach and get loose. Also, ditch the super thin straps you have on the bike. There is a reason you frequently see shredded orange straps on the highways. They are super cheap and don’t hold up.

Will do!

It was at the top of my list today to get new straps. I don’t trust these ones. Seems they can wear through too easily.

I’ll get thick ones.

My high visibility spaghetti mess of straps was also a bad idea. They flapped around too much.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Consider buying some 1 1/2 inch motorcycle tiedowns from a bike shop. The extra width makes it easier to attach and get loose. Also, ditch the super thin straps you have on the bike. There is a reason you frequently see shredded orange straps on the highways. They are super cheap and don’t hold up.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Done!

I went with the advice for the front mount.

By some miracle, the headlights aren’t blocked. Now I just need to put some covers in place for the bugs.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
be careful with the install. on my 2018 ram the hitch bolted through a hollow truck frame, and they had a torque spec of like 120 lbs. it will crush that solid frame with that torque.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
HadEnough wrote:
Where can I get a 48” extension that plugs into my existing 2” hitch receiver on the truck and will accept a 2” product on the far end?

Commercially available 2" extensions stop at 18", you'll need a 2-1/2" or 3" to go 48" out.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
I think you’re right. Thanks!

After sleeping on this, the front mount is the way to go.

Thanks for the tips on how to reinforce them. I’ll fab up the front rack and go with that.

AnEv942 wrote:
MC on front dual receiver would be a lot safer than at end of 48" extension. Also out of the way for rear access.
2 days before you leave though...

Few ways, with all in the downward rotation, welding may stop pivoting. But you'd want to ensure there in position
to easily slide in rack. Cleaning for welding with them mounted be a pain.

Could add another bolt in close fit holes to the angle/tube. Even thru the flat plate or both sides.
Drilling while mounted again would painful.

Or could utilize existing frame holes on other side and 'pivot' bolt and add a piece of flat bar.

Lastly maybe remove rear bolt, insert/drive a very tight fitting tube/pipe between tube walls so when bolt reinserted
you can tighten the heck out of it with out tube wall yielding.

If the holes thru tube are considerably larger than bolts, (only way I can see the pivoting action) could increase bolt size.