Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Carrying a Small Motorcycle?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Carrying a Small Motorcycle?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't recommend this, but once I was in a pinch and got a bunch of 18" extenders from Harbor Freight, but that was for a basket that maybe had 80lbs of stuff in it. It drops height quick when you stack them.

https://www.harborfreight.com/class-iii-18-in-x-2-in-standard-receiver-tube-69815.html

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mellow wrote:

I don't recommend this, but once I was in a pinch and got a bunch of 18" extenders from Harbor Freight, but that was for a basket that maybe had 80lbs of stuff in it. It drops height quick when you stack them.

https://www.harborfreight.com/class-iii-18-in-x-2-in-standard-receiver-tube-69815.html

Did you drill out holes in the truck joining end? How did they stay in your receiver on the truck?

I’ve found these in 48” made by Reese and others. But the far end, like in the Harbor Freight ones, doesn’t have a hole for the pin.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

I’ve narrowed it down to doing the 48” long extension from the existing Torklift rear hitch.

Motorcycle is 300lbs.

Where can I get a 48” extension that plugs into my existing 2” hitch receiver on the truck and will accept a 2” product on the far end?

I need one pre-drilled. All I can seem to find is ones you have to gab yourself

2" hitch equipment will fit inside a piece of 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" x .250 (1/4" wall) tubing, which will fit your 2-1/2" receiver on the truck.

I mentioned in a post above how I have a 40" overall extension made this way, including an internal sleeve made with 2"x2" x .250 wall. It took me some time to fab up and drill accurately, paint, etc.

It is heavy. If it were a commercially sold piece the freight would exceed the price of made in China light wall stuff [emoticon] [emoticon]

I tow a approx 4500lbs enclosed with about 500lbs tongue weight.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mellow wrote:

Curt is 2.5" to 2". Might have to custom make one.

Yes Curt part 45018 - 2.5" if you can find one.

Example on Hitchweb

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forget the motorcycle this trip and do it right when you have the time. Enjoy yourself.

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

Did you drill out holes in the truck joining end? How did they stay in your receiver on the truck?

I posted the wrong one, I did use the 12" ones and stacked them out to get 48", it was a crazy setup but worked.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-hitch-extender-69882.html

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

HadEnough wrote:

I’ve narrowed it down to doing the 48” long extension from the existing Torklift rear hitch.

Motorcycle is 300lbs.

Where can I get a 48” extension that plugs into my existing 2” hitch receiver on the truck and will accept a 2” product on the far end?

I need one pre-drilled. All I can seem to find is ones you have to gab yourself

2" hitch equipment will fit inside a piece of 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" x .250 (1/4" wall) tubing, which will fit your 2-1/2" receiver on the truck.

I mentioned in a post above how I have a 40" overall extension made this way, including an internal sleeve made with 2"x2" x .250 wall. It took me some time to fab up and drill accurately, paint, etc.

It is heavy. If it were a commercially sold piece the freight would exceed the price of made in China light wall stuff [emoticon] [emoticon]

I tow a approx 4500lbs enclosed with about 500lbs tongue weight.

Ahhhh. That’s where I was off.

I have a 2” receiver on the truck. It is on a big frame mounted hitch that holds the whole truck camper in. It’s what the back tie downs slide into on either end.

I have a 2” motorcycle carrier rack that slides into the 2” receiver.

I need to extend all of that 48”. I have places to tie the long arm into to keep it stable too. But I can’t seem to find a 48” extension for a 2” hitch receiver that itself is also a 2” receiver.

Sorry. I’m really not very experienced with all these parts. Seems simple enough. I don’t know why I can’t find it.

I could definitely do your suggestion if I could find a 2” to 2 1/2” adapter, but I can’t seem to find that either.

I suppose I could go DOWN to 2” OD steel tubing in 48” length. Probably 1/4” wall to be safe.

Then if there was such a thing as a 2” to 2” OD coupler, it could work.

* This post was edited 06/14/21 03:10pm by HadEnough *

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

Forget the motorcycle this trip and do it right when you have the time. Enjoy yourself.

I mean this is what wi happen if this thread fails. And I’ll be devastated actually because riding the bike out west was a huge part of my plans. My girlfriend is in it for the RV travel but I have already done this trip and my big dream is to ride somewhere good.

I’m in South Florida right now and the riding is non-existent due to all land private/gated as well as heat that will kill you. It’s an enduro bike. Plated for short road trips to off road fun. I’ll be heartbroken not to bring it.

It’s also a nice mini “toad” and safety feature in case of deep desert breakdowns. I’d really really prefer to have it.

But if it can’t be figured out, there is no other choice.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aside from it s ucking to have the bike on the back and have to remove it every time you want to go into the camper, there is no reason that you can't build one with NO welding if that's a deal breaker for you.
You could even hang or stabilize it a bit off the AF rear bumper step (like the one where the sewer hose goes).
Get a 4' length of 2.5" tubing as heavy wall as you can get and a shorter piece of 2" heavy wall. Slide one in the other and drill both for a smaller bolt or 2 to hold them together, drill both ends for hitch pin.
If that doesn't seem sturdy enough, there are bolt on ways to stabilize it vertically and laterally.
Or find a mom n pop shop that will weld and drill the same for you.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, “out west” it’s a lot farther between places which means if you ride by yourself and break down, you might be there a while on a bike. Something to consider if you haven’t.

Anyway, I’d bite the bullet and adapt the front hitch to a motorcycle carrier. It will only be stronger with double receivers. You won’t enjoy working around the bike to get in/out of the camper assuming you don’t have a side entry. Also, the weight will be handled better on the front.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Carrying a Small Motorcycle?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.