cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Squeaking From Motor

BigDaddy1951
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Winnebago Voyage on the W22 Workhorse frame with the 8.1 engine. For over a year now when I first crank up, I get a squeaking sound from the motor. I am sure it has to do with the belt system. It is worse when it is damp, as it is most days in Florida. Usually after a few miles it stops. Because of the tight space, and old age, I need advice on where to look first. I donโ€™t want to be left by the road. By the way, the belt looks and feels good, so I am concerned it is a bearing. Thx in advance!
12 REPLIES 12

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 W24 chassis with the 8.1L engine and had this problem. I checked idler and tensioner pulleys and they were OK. Tried several belts and noise returned in a short time. I tried NAPA, Dayco, Gates and they didn't last very long until noise returned. 5 years ago I installed a Goodyear Gatorback quiet belt 4061080 and it has been quiet. The belt is a cog-belt design with slots on the groove side that are perpendicular to the grooves. This belt seems stronger than others I have tried and streches less. It is just now making a light chirp at idle speed and usually in the morning or when damp. I will have to now check further now to see if I can determine cause. It does not sound like anything is about to self destruct and the noise goes away above idle. This belt is under quite a bit of stress since it runs water pump, alternator, AC compressor, and Hydraulic pump for steering and brakes.

The easiest way I have found to handle belt removal and installation is to attach a ratchet strap to the tensioner arm and the other end of strap to suspension spring on passenger side. This way you can remove tension by yourself and easily work with the belt. Just make sure you follow belt routing. I can remove the belt completely from below with this method.

Looks like I should also take a good look at the crankshaft pulley. Good luck with yours-- Mick
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
Ihad this problem for years on my 2007 w22 8.1 put belt on it every year would go away for 1000 miles and come back.replaced tensioner and and idler and came back got underneath of it with it running and noticed the crankshaft pully wobbling. I owned since brand new and always had the problem. replaced crankshaft pully never had the problem again

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
A quick and easy check for belt squeak is to spray each individual belt with a squirt of water from a spray bottle. If the squeaking belt gets a shot of water it'll stop squeaking right away and probably start again real quick.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The chirping sound occurs when your alternator kicks on and off, which causes additional drag on the belt. Alternators are not charging at their full capacity unless needed. When they start charging, the drag increases, which can cause a chirping sound. When you initially start your engine, it takes a lot from the batteries and they need to be topped off, hence the alternator kicks in. If you want to dig around underneath and on top of your engine, you can buy a can of belt dressing and thoroughly spray the belt all over and let it dry. Then start your engine and see if the noise goes away. Belt dressing is not a fix, but in some cases it does quiet a slipping belt for a short time.

BigDaddy1951
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. The sound is more like a chirp, chirp. Doesnโ€™t squeal like a slipping belt.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a personal observation. I have always considered belts as squealing. A squeal lasting more that a squeak (which is more of an instant)
Have had springs squeak, motor mounts squeak. Brakes and belts squeal.
The word squeak seems like something that happens very quickly
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The idler is a fixed pulley at the top. The tensionor pullet is on a spring loaded bracket that you have to release to change the belt. As the name indicates, it keeps the tension on the belt. You use a 3/8" breaker bar in the tensionor bracket to release tension on the belt.

mfinnerty
Explorer
Explorer
Two different parts.
Mike & Linda Finnerty with Finn & Rosco (Golden mix brothers)

BigDaddy1951
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at Advance online and they listed an Idler/Tensioner Pulley. Are there two? And if so are they different? The game is afoot as Sherlock says! Thx.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Try with the engine off and cold dump a bunch of water over the belts. Then start the engine and see if the squeak is different or gone. If no change then look at the bearings.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The serpentine belts will get "glazed" and tend to squeak from time to time. When the bearings go it is usually a noise that is continuous. You will use the longer of the TWO belts listed for the W22 chassis with the 8.1L engine. Since you will need to replace the belt, it is not a bad idea to replace both the idler pulley AND the tensionor pulley. This is not a really difficult job to do but it does need to be done from the top for the idler pulley and from the bottom for the tensionor and belt change. I've change the belt at the side of the road. Takes about 15 minutes to do. I would get a Gates belt instead of the cheaper Dayco belt. It will last longer.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Probably the idler bearing for your fan belt.

I've had two replaced in the past 95,000 miles.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes