Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Squeaking From Motor
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Squeaking From Motor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
ernie1

Sacramento,California,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/21 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A quick and easy check for belt squeak is to spray each individual belt with a squirt of water from a spray bottle. If the squeaking belt gets a shot of water it'll stop squeaking right away and probably start again real quick.

allbrandauto

maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ihad this problem for years on my 2007 w22 8.1 put belt on it every year would go away for 1000 miles and come back.replaced tensioner and and idler and came back got underneath of it with it running and noticed the crankshaft pully wobbling. I owned since brand new and always had the problem. replaced crankshaft pully never had the problem again

23hotrodr

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2007 W24 chassis with the 8.1L engine and had this problem. I checked idler and tensioner pulleys and they were OK. Tried several belts and noise returned in a short time. I tried NAPA, Dayco, Gates and they didn't last very long until noise returned. 5 years ago I installed a Goodyear Gatorback quiet belt 4061080 and it has been quiet. The belt is a cog-belt design with slots on the groove side that are perpendicular to the grooves. This belt seems stronger than others I have tried and streches less. It is just now making a light chirp at idle speed and usually in the morning or when damp. I will have to now check further now to see if I can determine cause. It does not sound like anything is about to self destruct and the noise goes away above idle. This belt is under quite a bit of stress since it runs water pump, alternator, AC compressor, and Hydraulic pump for steering and brakes.

The easiest way I have found to handle belt removal and installation is to attach a ratchet strap to the tensioner arm and the other end of strap to suspension spring on passenger side. This way you can remove tension by yourself and easily work with the belt. Just make sure you follow belt routing. I can remove the belt completely from below with this method.

Looks like I should also take a good look at the crankshaft pulley. Good luck with yours-- Mick

2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Squeaking From Motor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.