cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tripod for a new fifth wheel

CampinginCanada
Explorer
Explorer
What are your opinions of using a tripod on a new fifth wheel? I have ordered an Alliance Valor 41V15 that comes with a six point stabilizer system. Do you find that the tripod helps with trailer sway?

Cheers,
Fred
2017 Ram 3500 Diesel SWB SRW
2018 Jayco Octane 272
18 REPLIES 18

danskool
Explorer
Explorer
I have two . Both were given to me. I tried for a while. They are a pain to use and I don't bother. Not worth their weight and space but they are worth scrap metal.
Dan

2021 5th Wheel Crusader 29RS
2001 F250 XLT 7.3 PSD

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
Our current 5ver has the 6 pt leveling system so we no longer need the tripod. However, our previous 5ver did not have 6 pt leveling. We used the tripod only when we were staying more than a weekend. It helped somewhat. On 2 night stays we generally didn't put it out.

It now sits in our house basement.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

Had 1.... got tired of hearing it clumping around my bed, not being used.... gave it to someone on here...

Save your money
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
CampinginCanada wrote:
What are your opinions of using a tripod on a new fifth wheel? I have ordered an Alliance Valor 41V15 that comes with a six point stabilizer system. Do you find that the tripod helps with trailer sway?

Cheers,
Fred

Common sense tell us a pin stabilizer was never meant to stop all trailer sway motions. Logic says it can help eliminate side to side sway in the front where the pin is.
For that I've used a aluminum bipod pin stabilizer since 1984 when I bought my 1st 5th wheel RV trailer. The trailer had no OEM leveling system.
Also logic tells us side to side sway at the rear of the trailer needs help. For that I use the BAL telescoping stabilizer. Some use other stabilizing products.

Logic now says fore and aft movement will need to be addressed. For that part I use a adjustable chocks. Others use some type of tire chalks.
Now I'm rock solid.

If you use another aftermarket jack or a screw type stabilizer don't forget to back them down first. Most aren't meant to carry weight but just stabilize movement.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
CampinginCanada wrote:

Cheers,
Fred

I don't recommend the tripod. If you want real stabilization install a set of JT Strongarms.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
whiteeye42 wrote:
i had one and used it 3 times more or a pain to set up so i sold it and i also have a bipod that i got and used it twice
You needed to get the decapod model to at least use it ten times ๐Ÿ˜‰

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I especially laugh when I see someone using it with an air ride hitch.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
i had one and used it 3 times more or a pain to set up so i sold it and i also have a bipod that i got and used it twice
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
I use the scissor jack things between the axles, seems to do the most good on my old trailers with basic manual stabilizers.

H__Cramer
Explorer
Explorer
Never Had one
Found Chocking the Wheels (as you Should), and using X Jacks Between the Wheels, Also using Scissor Jacks in the Middle eliminates any Movement.
I have a 2010 Mountaineer 295RK, Mine does not have a 6 Point Leveling, so I made my own.

Out

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Gave mine away...tired of hauling it around.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty much just excess baggage. Had one, don't anymore.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had one. Does help if you have nothing else. Over time the bit of rocking was less of an issue and the additional set up time was more of an issue. Used it less and less until I let it go.

CampinginCanada
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, my first fifth wheel and only RV I have ever had where I can stand in the shower.
2017 Ram 3500 Diesel SWB SRW
2018 Jayco Octane 272