cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WIFI

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am sure this has been ask before...but I am going to ask any way, hope I don't make the board cop's mad...We like to use our lap tops just to check emails & Facebook, and the problem is we are going to campgrounds that say they have WIFI...which they may have in the office but it is **** for the campers...my question is what should a person like me that's lucky to get the TV to work look into getting for WIFI?...Thanks for any help...
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo
9 REPLIES 9

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most cell phone providers also have a stand alone mobile device (router) for wifi. We have ours powered by 12V and always have internet available. We use this because we are able to pickup internet in places that cell phone do not work. The coverage maps for cell and data are different. 10 years on the road and there has never been a place we did not have wifi. No extra boosters or antennas needed.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
haste maker wrote:

Not wanting to watch movies or play games...just check email & facebook..thanks

I find facebook is a data hog.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
There's lots of great info at www.rvmobileinternet.com
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

Get Verizon's own Visible service using one of their approved smartphones on their list. It's unlimited high speed 4G/5G LTE data, though only permits one hotspot device connected at a time. You can also wireless cast from your smartphone if your TV supports it, or use an HDMI connected casting device.

Sign-up for Visible then join any 'Party Pay Group' and pay only $25. month.

Some have taken the Visible SIM out of their smartphone, and installed in a Verizon portable hotspot. Though their use is not approved by Visible, and they could cancel your account at anytime without notice.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
If your cell phones support tethering or hotspot features, it may be worth bumping up the data plan temporarily for your trip if possible.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Camp wifi is for reading text email and RV.net at most.
Bring a couple downloaded movies and skip the live TV for a few days. Catch up on your shows when you get home.
Or meet some people that would like to play cards or just shoot the breeze and exchange a few stories. Far better memories from this vs any tv program.

Not wanting to watch movies or play games...just check email & facebook..thanks
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a T-Mobile phone in most places.. Some CG's the WI-FI is decent. Some it's actually good. Some it's ****.. I sometimes tell the story of one CG (it now has decent) that had Verizon 2-way Satellite that proved some things suck even more than an electrolux (Pun on an old commercial) When I had a Dr's appt I'd head to the hospital a few blocks from the Doctor, check into my favorite hospital room (Cafeteria) have breakfast and wi-fi then hike to the doctor leaving the car at hospital... I can not tell you how much I enjoyed those walks but alas it's getting harder and harder to walk like that.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camp wifi is for reading text email and RV.net at most.
Bring a couple downloaded movies and skip the live TV for a few days. Catch up on your shows when you get home.
Or meet some people that would like to play cards or just shoot the breeze and exchange a few stories. Far better memories from this vs any tv program.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like most of us, use a Cell Phone hotspot, in over 20 stops this year I've used WIFI once because we were crowded in between two Class A walls that blocked the cell signal.
Park WIFI almost always stinks.
We use Visible for a Verizon sinal and hot spot. I'm using it right now in South Fork CO.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper