cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about a Ford F 350 Drw

mattyj
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to be getting a new TC and fairly new Truck probably in the coming year, I plan on retiring on 12/31/21. (If I make it) My wife loves the Adventurer 901 DB with a full wall slide,California King mattress and the U shape dinette and me too. I know it’s a heavy camper and it needs a DRW , my question is can a Ford F3 50 dual rear wheel handle any Truck Camper out there? Or are there certain campers that need even more then a F3 50 DWR can handle?
2006 Ford F 350, 6.0 PSD 8 Foot Bed 4x4 with Torklift Tie downs ,Stable Loads ,rear Helwig Swaybar,airlifts 5000 , Method 305 HD rims . 2019 Adventurer 89 RBS, slideout, Generator
60 REPLIES 60

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
How do they (LEO’s) determine the axle/tire load limits? Serious question, I really don’t know. If you get stopped because they think you’re overloaded, or heaven forbid you have a wreck and they think overloading contributed to it, what are they going to do?

Do they look at the sticker? Look at the tire sidewall? Measure the tire width?

When the M300 axle was announced by Dana in 2012, they stated that there are multiple types, and it is designed for use in light commercial vehicles with Gross Axle Weight Ratings (GAWR) of 5200 to 7250 kg (11,500 to 16,000 lbs) and Gross Combined Weights (GCW) of 18,140 kg (40,000 lbs.). So, the lowest Dana GAWR it could have is 11,500. I suspect since there ARE differences between the M300 in the F350’s and the M300 in the F450 pickup, it’s GAWR is higher than 11.5K.

But regardless, I still prefer the F450 pickup to the F350 or to a cab and chassis F450. I don’t really care what GVWR Ford puts on it. I’ve stated many times why I think Ford has chosen to cap ALL of the Superduty pickup GVWR’s at 14K. It might make business sense, but when I Iook at the components each truck is actually built with, it makes me go :h

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes. Many trucks have stickers like these.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is this the number we're talking about?

Chev 4500 Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (Lbs.) 10,000/11,000/15,500

Chev 4500 Chassis Cab, Features and Specs
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
mellow wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
I didn't see where anyone says the F350 DRW is more of a truck.

It was said clearly in the post before mine. And you are correct if we are talking commercial, but this isn't a commercial trucking forum and we are hauling Truck Campers not paid for loads.

Got news for ya'. Commercial or hauling a camper or a load of feed from a mill.... the same trucks come under the same axle/tire load restrictions.

The poster above you didn't say the F350 DRW is more of a truck. What he said was Quote;
"BTW - that 2016 F450 had less payload than the F350."
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Like I noted in my response to your previous post when I referred to p 52 in the document you referred to, you are wrong about the actual rear strength in the newer models.

Hmm.....my replies have been pointed more to available payloads for the OP which is controlled by rear axle suspensions which both trucks have the same RAWR numbers...same Dana 300 M series that for several years have been 9000 up to current 9900 rwar.
Now for actual strength more splines and larger axle shaft diameters can help but axle splines and shaft diameters don't carry weight on a full floater rear axle.

Now if were talking about the older F450 pickups when Ford gave them a 11500 RAWR then of course those model years the F450 had much more payload capabilities.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
NRALIFR wrote:
Here’s my speculation:

In a high level meeting of Ford executives, probably in 2009 or so, the executive responsible for the medium duty truck line (who’s annual bonus is directly tied to the # of units sold) went nose to nose with the executive responsible for the light truck line (whose annual bonus is directly tied to the number of units sold), and screamed in his/her face “WTH are you doing to me! Your F450 pickup is stealing sales from my F450 cab and chassis trucks! My bonus just got cut again, and I’ve got mansion payments, boat payments, condo payments, college tuition, and hair salon payments to make!”

After the 2010 model year, the F450 pickup never again had a GVWR higher than 14K.

THAT’S why it’s 14K.

I agree with your premises with one exception....

...you forgot "mistress payments."

LOL.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Here’s my speculation:

In a high level meeting of Ford executives, probably in 2009 or so, the executive responsible for the medium duty truck line (who’s annual bonus is directly tied to the # of units sold) went nose to nose with the executive responsible for the light truck line (whose annual bonus is directly tied to the number of units sold), and screamed in his/her face “WTH are you doing to me! Your F450 pickup is stealing sales from my F450 cab and chassis trucks! My bonus just got cut again, and I’ve got mansion payments, boat payments, condo payments, college tuition, and hair salon payments to make!”

After the 2010 model year, the F450 pickup never again had a GVWR higher than 14K.

THAT’S why it’s 14K.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

It was said clearly in the post before mine. And you are correct if we are talking commercial, but this isn't a commercial trucking forum and we are hauling Truck Campers not paid for loads.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
JIMNLIN wrote:
Thats why many serious haulers won't use or recommend a newer gen F450 pickup with the neutered 9000-9900 rawr . Granted the older F450 pickups had those big 11500 lb rawr worked great for those that used them for serious work..... and play.

Like I noted in my response to your previous post when I referred to p 52 in the document you referred to, you are wrong about the actual rear strength in the newer models. For what it’s worth, even when the F450 had a different Dana model, it wasn’t rated higher than 9900 and that goes for my year that has a 14500 GVWR.

Clearly the F450 axle is larger diameter, more splines with bigger brakes. You seem to be hung up on the Dana model number without reading that there are different axles in the F450 compared to the F350. We can speculate about why the F350 and F450 are rated so closely by Ford, but that doesn’t mean that the F450 isn’t more capable.

Like I said though, there are disadvantages to go with the added strength and capability of the F450, but it is more capable.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
mellow wrote:
Anyone saying the 350 is more of a truck than the 450 needs to get under both of them and see the major differences.

The widetrack front axle and beefier brakes alone are worth the upgrade to the 450 if you are carrying heavy loads.

Going by the numbers game is foolish.

Both can carry heavy loads its just that one is heavier gross weight which cuts into available payloads for work..... or play.
Thats why many serious haulers won't use or recommend a newer gen F450 pickup with the neutered 9000-9900 rawr . Granted the older F450 pickups had those big 11500 lb rawr worked great for those that used them for serious work..... and play.
Not going by the numbers game as you call it can be a folly for those that use these trucks for both.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone saying the 350 is more of a truck than the 450 needs to get under both of them and see the major differences.

The widetrack front axle and beefier brakes alone are worth the upgrade to the 450 if you are carrying heavy loads.

Going by the numbers game is foolish.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Highway_Runner
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 F350 DRW 4x4 Gas for my Eagle Cap 1165 Triple Slide. The truck is rated to carry 7700 lbs from the factory. I have a 4.30 rear end for pulling power in the hills. I put Torklift Stable Loads on the leaf springs and have Air Lift 7500s to help support the load. I have absolutely no problems. I also tow a 18’ pontoon about half the time. You must pick the right truck setup and you can likely carry any truck camper on the market.
BTW - that 2016 F450 had less payload than the F350.
Skimp now and pay later.
Have a great time and be safe.
2015 Eagle Cap 1165
2016 F-350 Lariat 4x4, 6.2 Boss Dually, 4.30 Axle
Air Lifter 7500 XL w Rancho 9000s & Torklift Stable Loads

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Avid Fox wrote:
Singles look like too much work for me.

That’s an understatement 😛

I didn’t see a word mentioned about how it was at highway speed either.

🙂 🙂

Avid_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
Singles look like too much work for me.