Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Question about a Ford F 350 Drw
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Question about a Ford F 350 Drw

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avid Fox wrote:

"Removing the TC - another thing to consider.

How about these tires? Michelin X Force ZL 335/80r20"

Well, that's what I mentioned also. Wider than 17x265s on a dually won't fit between the front jacks without mods to widen the brackets. Maybe that's the easy solution for wider duals... Widen the brackets.

Those Michelin mog tires are too big and too loud for human use on the road. Big military tires often have severe speed restrictions too. I often travel at 75 mph on the open road.

Yes, your post about removing the TC got me thinking about it. I wonder if reinforcing the front corners of the TC would make better mounting points for the wider brackets.

The tire model posted tops out at 68mph. The question is though if you needed to take a little more time to get to the beach, but are still able to enjoy driving ON the beach wouldn't that be worth it?

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adding a little width to the swing-out dually brackets can be done easily.

The F450 pickup bed width is a few inches wider across the dually fenders than the F350’s, so I had to extend my swing out brackets. I used 3” wide flat stock, 3/16” thick, and sandwiched the jack and bracket between two layers.

[image]

Don’t extend them too much, or you could hit the cab with the jack when you swing them in.

[image]

Mine end up pretty close to the front tiedowns, so I have to center the camper in the bed carefully.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Avid Fox

On the road often.

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think a widening adapter on the front brackets would be much extra stress, unless it was abused. They are already wide enough to torque themselves off and break the corner supports if stressed badly enough. An extra 2" per side likely requires the same amount of care when down as the OEM parts.

It would be awesome to float over the sand in a camper like a sand rail, but the noise on the other 95% of road driving would be super annoying.

For me, ideal tires for a dually would be 285 sized, load range G, working air range from 20-110psi, and with a BFG KO2 type tread. But, they don't make it... Probably for technical or engineering reasons.

Avid Fox

On the road often.

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job! I've not seen that done before, but clearly it works.

NRALIFR wrote:

Adding a little width to the swing-out dually brackets can be done easily.

The F450 pickup bed width is a few inches wider across the dually fenders than the F350’s, so I had to extend my swing out brackets. I used 3” wide flat stock, 3/16” thick, and sandwiched the jack and bracket between two layers.

[image]

Don’t extend them too much, or you could hit the cab with the jack when you swing them in.

[image]

Mine end up pretty close to the front tiedowns, so I have to center the camper in the bed carefully.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did go over the front jack mounting plates and made sure they were secure, and improved them a little. They already had some sheet metal backing plates on the inside, and self-tapping bolts that went through the plates. I made sure they were tight, and put some nuts and big fender washers on the bolts. There really wasn’t enough thread engagement between the bolts and the backing plates for my taste.

[emoticon][emoticon]

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avid Fox wrote:

I don't think a widening adapter on the front brackets would be much extra stress, unless it was abused. They are already wide enough to torque themselves off and break the corner supports if stressed badly enough. An extra 2" per side likely requires the same amount of care when down as the OEM parts.

It would be awesome to float over the sand in a camper like a sand rail, but the noise on the other 95% of road driving would be super annoying.

For me, ideal tires for a dually would be 285 sized, load range G, working air range from 20-110psi, and with a BFG KO2 type tread. But, they don't make it... Probably for technical or engineering reasons.

Don't you run out of room btwn the DR tires when aired all the way down?

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

I did go over the front jack mounting plates and made sure they were secure, and improved them a little. They already had some sheet metal backing plates on the inside, and self-tapping bolts that went through the plates. I made sure they were tight, and put some nuts and big fender washers on the bolts. There really wasn’t enough thread engagement between the bolts and the backing plates for my taste.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Really nice! Thanks for the pics.

Avid Fox

On the road often.

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Don't you run out of room btwn the DR tires when aired all the way down?"

You would if you didn't space them correctly. 285s need wider rims than stock also, which use 245s. Yeah, there would be some expenses... prob about $5000.

Maybe super singles are not such a bad investment after all.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fwiw, my fenders are the same as F350s for my year. So, I think it’s worth checking the new ones to compare if that is what you will buy. I didn’t have to do anything special other than buy DRW brackets since I had a SRW previously.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really? Interesting, all I know is my ‘95 F350 dually fit between the front jacks, and my first F450 (a 2010) didn’t. The 2016 also needs the extra room. I wonder if your Host is wider than my Lance? Mine’s 94” wide.

Another thing that could make a difference is how the front jack mounts are installed. The way mine are installed, it puts the hinge points forward of the camper corners. If you flipped them, it would put the hinge points to the side of the camper, and you’d have more room between the jacks.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Question about a Ford F 350 Drw
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.