cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Skinny cat

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 10 year old Himalayan cat. She has always been a really picky eater and is just too skinny. Been feeding her dry Iams that was what she seemed to eat best. She got tired of that and tried canned fancy feast. She seemed to like that pretty good for a couple weeks but now isnโ€™t eating it too well. Sheโ€™s back to eating the dry Iams more. Any suggestions to try and get her to gain a little weight?
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
12 REPLIES 12

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
Try adding some warm water to the dry cat food.

A little bit(tablespoon) of vanilla ice cream could be tempting to your cat.
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

Cristian123
Explorer
Explorer
From my own experience, I can say that it is essential to monitor your cat's weight. If you notice that it loses weight, there might be health issues, so I'd recommend addressing a vet. In case your pet is healthy, you need to change the nutrition. There exist high-calorie food that can help gain weight fast. I found a good list here https://www.catfoodpoint.com/best-high-calorie-cat-food-for-weight-gain/. My cat liked Hound&Gatos canned food.

Udicomo
Explorer
Explorer
I came across this problem so it took a long time to find the best option. We tried buying various cat food.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You know more than anyone what your cat might like.

If you have suddenly decided that your finicky "always has been thin" cat is looking "too thin" then you need to get her checked now. Waiting until she stops eating to see a vet is too late.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
She does eat every day. I am giving her the dry Iams along with fancy feast. She has never been a big eater and Iโ€™m not sure she has really lost much weight. I just think she is too thin and was trying to plump her up a bit. If she stops eating or acting sick I will find a vet wherever we are but for now I was just hoping to find something to get her to eat more.
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

dturm
Is she losing weight?? If so I wouldn't wait until October to have her checked out. Doximom11 gave a good differential diagnosis of potential issues.

BTW, cats are different than dogs regarding eating. They can and do cause serious issues by just not eating sufficient amounts. With dogs there is almost always some underlying issues either medical or behavioral with longer term inappetence. Cats can have underlying issues but sometimes can put themselves into liver disease just by not eating.

Lesson: a cat not eating for days should be considered an immediate problem.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

soon2bexpat
Explorer
Explorer
Hartz Delectables. Different textures available, plus senior & senior+ vesions.
Kodachrome Time Machine, my vintage photo collection from the 1940s to the 1970s: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCff0z54NyAfuAjUST896l6g

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
I'd try keeping some of the Iams dry available for her all the time, and offering several small meals a day of different canned foods with different flavors and textures. In addition to Fancy Feast, many cats seem to like Friskies canned food. And it's relatively inexpensive, so not too much cost to experiment with a few different flavors. Despite the stereotype of the finicky cat who only wants her favorite food, there are lots of cats who want variety. I kept several brands/types of canned food for one of our previous cats. He rarely got the same thing more than twice in a row, and he liked it that way.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skinny old cats: Why some senior cats lose weight. What's going on? Well-recognized causes of weight loss in old cats include chronic renal disease, diabetes mellitus, hyperthyroidism, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, and dental problems, to name a few.

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
She had regular appointment last winter and we are traveling for summer now. She feels fine and acts completely normal. Had always been a really picky eater and we just think she is a bit too thin. Will take her to vet when we return to AZ in October but I was just gonna try and find something she likes to eat better. She has never eaten any kitty treats. Just refuses. Also wonโ€™t eat any people tuna or like a piece of real chicken or turkey. When I bought Fancy Feast she seemed to really like the gravy ones but a couple weeks later she just isnโ€™t too interested. She has pretty much eaten like this all her life
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Agree with above, but will add, try to find a cat-only vet if possible. Our 12 year old was sick last November and our regular vet checked her and said no cancer and gave meds, but we kept calling and took her back and mid January he said she's full of cancer. We were then referred to a cat-only vet by my wife's friend, but too late. Horrible experience. And the regular vet has the highest rating around.
Do it now!
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Has she had a thorough vet check with blood work recently? At 10 I'd want to get a senior blood panel done, check for kidney and thyroid function, have her teeth checked, etc. All those and more can cause weight loss and/or change in appetite.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K