Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Gas Vs Diesel Yah-Yah-Yah!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gas Vs Diesel Yah-Yah-Yah!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/21 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing I always keep in mind when looking at motorhomes is that we'll only spend about 5% or so of our time driving it, and the rest of the time living in it. For us, that means the floor plan is much more important than the engine fuel or the ride.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

chuckftboy

Fleming Island, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Dutch, floor plan is the most important thing. We chose our current coach for floor plan and length. No one offered a 43' with a gas motor so for us it wasn't an option. I have owned a high end gasser and while it was a great coach I never liked looking for fuel every 325 miles of travel and there are a lot of benefits that come with traveling in a diesel coach.

* This post was edited 05/16/21 08:05pm by chuckftboy *

2019 Horizon 42Q Maxim Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/21 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chuckftboy wrote:

I never liked looking for fuel every 325 miles of travel and there are a lot of benefits that come with traveling in a diesel coach.
I know diesels get a bit more economy but is the fuel tank also bigger?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

phil-t

Ogdensburg, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 03:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just went into our second gas coach. Number one was floor plan. We got every feature we wanted. I was very familiar and comfortable with the F53 chassis, handling and upgrades to improve that. After about 20k miles on that first gas coach I was very comfortable in the driver's seat. Not impressed with the cost of a diesel and the maintenance that goes with it and the, generally, more complex systems they incorporate, we went for a high end gas coach. I am a DIYr for maintenance and felt the diesel coach and it's systems would be beyond my mechanical abilities, or at least my desire to do that maintenance.

2010 Winnebago Vista 32k on a 2009 Ford F53 22k chassis

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with the comparison is most people compare the bottom of the line gasser to the top of the line diesel pusher...and then go on about how much faster, quieter, etc... the MH that costs 5 times as much is.

Wedge the diesel out of a pusher in the front engine bay of a lower tier gas MH and suddenly the comments about how quiet it is, will go away. Likewise, stick the 7.3 in the back of a pusher and suddenly, there will be no noise from it even if it's winding up to 3500rpm.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 05:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

You take the difference in price and the price to maintain them and the gas stands out as an obvious winner. I’ll hear diesel owners say “Oh mine goes up hill faster” and I counter with “Have you gone somewhere a gas coach can’t”? All I hear then is Crickets. And then there’s “Oh but my diesel will go 500,000 miles and a gas will do half of that. And I say “Yes and for what you pay to rebuild your diesel, I can put in a new engine and transmission and have money left over for a month out west and summer in Alaska”! Yes more crickets.

I don't have a dog in this fight, and understand logic has little to do with the choice, but have some thoughts.
Go up a 5 mile long hill at 60, takes 5 minutes. A 5 mile hill at 30, takes 10 minutes. How much of your travel is going up that steep of hill?
As for the engine life; Sure the diesel engine will last over twice as as long than the gas engine. But even in a pickup, the engine is unlikely to be the reason for the end of vehicle life. What will be the condition of either MH after the likely decades of life it will take to wear out a gas engine?

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

chuckftboy wrote:

I never liked looking for fuel every 325 miles of travel and there are a lot of benefits that come with traveling in a diesel coach.
I know diesels get a bit more economy but is the fuel tank also bigger?

My American Coach Tradition has 125 gallon tank, which on a good day will take me almost 1000 miles between filling, for what that is worth.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

phil-t

Ogdensburg, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are ways to mitigate some of the front engine noise and the possible poor handling characteristics of the gas coach. Not saying it can ever be as nice or comfortable as a DP, but there is that price tag. Add just $3k for improvements to the gas coach and lot of the "bads" will go away.

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The same can be said with tow vehicles, the new gas engines do a great job, and have really closed the gap with diesels. The new for 7.3 is rated for up to a 20k lbs 5th wheel. That now makes most 5th wheels towable with the gasser. Not saying the diesel doesn't have more power, but in most cases the gasser will get it done, and for about $10k less.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“I recently spent a good amount of time in a 2021 Entegra Emblem and 2021 Coachmen Encore” ...sitting, not driving a rig under 38’ in length. As long (a pun) as you want a short rig (not a coach) and floor plan is more important, a gasser will get you there, except on windy days when you are afraid to drive it.

Plenty of floor plan choices on the same chassis and if the chassis is a pos, (needs track bars, bigger sway bars or CHF) you may be happy with it, but not me plus I’m into coaches bigger than gas rigs.

* This post was edited 05/17/21 07:00am by Ivylog *

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gas Vs Diesel Yah-Yah-Yah!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.