Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Gas Vs Diesel Yah-Yah-Yah!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gas Vs Diesel Yah-Yah-Yah!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

The same can be said with tow vehicles, the new gas engines do a great job, and have really closed the gap with diesels. and for about $10k less.

Great job??? 475 torque compared to 1050... you’re dreaming on closing the gap and it’s more the 10 speed tranny than the gas engine.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

wowens79 wrote:

The same can be said with tow vehicles, the new gas engines do a great job, and have really closed the gap with diesels. and for about $10k less.

Great job??? 475 torque compared to 1050... you’re dreaming on closing the gap and it’s more the 10 speed tranny than the gas engine.

Torque...at what engine rpm range? Engine power across its operating range is a far more useful metric for guessing at performance.

(If you put a 2.2:1 gear reduction on the gas engine, the torque numbers would be basically identical.)

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

wowens79 wrote:

Gas engines are quite happy to spin up at 3000rpm while the diesel may like 1500rpm.

Adjust the gearing and it's the same torque making it to the wheels.

Diesel still retains an advantage at high altitude...not because it's a diesel but because it has forced induction which makes up for the thin air.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As pointed out earlier and mentioned in my initial post. A top of the line tear 4 gas motorhome changes everything. Better furniture, cabinetry, appliances etc. And it also changes the sound deadening material in the doghouse, steering and front end components. Stabilizers, tires and on we go. And if you’ve not driven one with the new V8 and chases it’s a serious game changer!

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Ivylog wrote:

wowens79 wrote:

Torque...at what engine rpm range? Engine power across its operating range is a far more useful metric for guessing at performance.

(If you put a 2.2:1 gear reduction on the gas engine, the torque numbers would be basically identical.)

No doubt the diesels are torque monsters, but how often do you really actually use that much torque? Yes you can accelerate uphill better, and pulls heavy 5ers, large coaches better. But an average 5er is probably 12-14k loaded. That used to be diesel territory, but now is doable with a gasser. Yes the 10spd is a huge part of the package with the gassers. But they've gone 10spd with the diesels too, and I assume it is to help the performance.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Ivylog wrote:

wowens79 wrote:

. (If you put a 2.2:1 gear reduction on the gas engine, the torque numbers would be basically identical.)

A 2.2 gear reduction would make the engine turn 8800 rpms (briefly) but you would not have 1075 torque. The 7.3 torque curve is above 450 from 3000 to 5500 but it starts to decrease at 5500 rpms.
My V8 diesel will turn 3500+ rpms and my 15 liter DP engine will handle 2200 rpms under load and 2500 no load. The sweet spot is around 1500 which is 65 mph. It will make 1600+ torque from 1000 to 1550 rpms.

* This post was edited 05/17/21 01:28pm by Ivylog *

Yankee Clipper

Cairo, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO, the sweet spot is the optimal price, floor plan, and equipment. For both my current and former rig (first Class A), I have been the third owner. Bless all the former owners who worked out the kinks and took the major depreciation! Our current rig has 5-Star tuning, so the V-10 now cranks out 420 HP, which is in the DP range.
The engine noise is not all that bad, if I ever cure the wind whistle everything would be fine and dandy.

Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS, Duke the overgrown Boxer mascot/lousy watch dog
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

As pointed out earlier and mentioned in my initial post. A top of the line tear 4 gas motorhome changes everything. Better furniture, cabinetry, appliances etc. And it also changes the sound deadening material in the doghouse, steering and front end components. Stabilizers, tires and on we go. And if you’ve not driven one with the new V8 and chases it’s a serious game changer!

While I agree the gassers have improved. You are in FL. which is relatively flat.
The diesel vs. gas divide is not as important on flat ground.
But once you hit the mountains the diesel starts to separate itself from the gassers.
Their is no substitute for diesel performance

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Lantley, You’re certainly right about flat Florida being much different than mountain areas. But I was in Asheville, NC where it’s quite hilly and in some areas seriously so. The gassers did themselves proud.

I should probably add that I was in the Emblem for a good hour and the Encore for almost two. I say that because it wasn’t just a quick drive by.

* This post was last edited 05/17/21 05:20pm by Mondooker *   View edit history

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

wowens79 wrote:

Things like HP or torque are pretty much meaningless unless you look at the ‘big picture’.

I like sporty roadsters, my favourite is a 6 litre, 621 hp twin turbo V12 Benz, it does 0 to 60 in a little under 4 seconds and the 1/4 mile in a little under 12 seconds.

My buddy likes motorcycles, his favourite bike is 1 litre BMW, it also does 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times about the same as my car does.

My car weighs about 4,300 pounds, his bike weighs about 700 pounds.

Power to weight ratio, that is a quantitative measurement that means something.

A 36,000 pound DP versus an 18,000 pound gasser is pretty much the same apples to oranges silliness.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gas Vs Diesel Yah-Yah-Yah!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.