Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Gas Vs Diesel Yah-Yah-Yah!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gas Vs Diesel Yah-Yah-Yah!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/21 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would have been nice if Ford had kept going with the ecoboost line up to a V8 for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks (and of course, it likely would have found it's way into MHs). Even with modest amount of turbo boost, this would largely negate any altitude loss and allow for a substantial increase in torque keeping RPM down in most situations.

Of course, given the premium they get for diesels, it probably didn't make financial sense for Ford to build a gas engine that can perform as well as the diesel.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing we’ve not talked about is the way we drive our motorhome? I have a friend in the Great State of Wyoming who owns a Class C. And if the speed limit is 80 he’s right there with the best or worst of them. With me driving my DP or gas coach I stay between 63 and 65. If I need to go 70 to pass someone I will. Then I’ll drop back to my lower speed.

I think every one of us who would love to keep the posted speed going up hill. But it doesn’t take long to know that’s not going to always happen? But as long as I get to the top I’m good. If I have a concern it’s going down! [emoticon]

I had someone say to me just yesterday “gassers can look good but are poorly made”! I don’t know his point of reference but decided not to belabor the point. Now days there are some very well known and respected companies making gassers. And if a gasser can only be made “poorly” they would not build them.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If money were no object I'd be driving a DP. I've had Gas MH's and I have had gas trucks. New truck is a diesel and there is a reason. Lots of reasons actually. Yes they cost more and that is part of the point I concede. But Diesels cost more for lots of reasons and those reasons are justifiable.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

The same can be said with tow vehicles, the new gas engines do a great job, and have really closed the gap with diesels. The new for 7.3 is rated for up to a 20k lbs 5th wheel. That now makes most 5th wheels towable with the gasser. Not saying the diesel doesn't have more power, but in most cases the gasser will get it done, and for about $10k less.

Even if power were the same, efficiency is much different. I went with the 6.7 Diesel over the gas primarily due to fuel economy. The cost in the truck was not vastly different but the mileage sure was.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are on our 4th MH. First three were diesel and this last is a gas engine. I will say that I preferred the diesels but this gasser fits the handicap needs of my wife who has to use a mobility scooter to get around and we could not find a diesel anywhere in the country and didn't want the better part of a year to have one built. The gasser quality of the coach itself is much better than the last diesel we had.
My confidence in diesel power comes from the Freightliner chassis over the years and they just keep on running. The Damon Essence body was like piling pig poop on a Cadillac.
I don't care what you drive/camp in/ travel in or whatever. Your money, your rig and your business. If you ask for a comment, I'll tell you and if you need help I'll give it.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the question of why you need all that torque has come up a few times. You're using all that torque when pulling a much heavier chassis and greater cargo. A chassis that rides better. Not sure why this is a debate. I've heard the new F53 is much improved and the new engine is better. Long time coming. But comparing a DP to a gasser is still oranges and basketballs in terms of power production, efficiency, CCC, ride and handling. And I am not sure what gasser costs $225k. The highest end gas Newmar has an MSRP of $178k. Subtract 25% to get a real price. Maybe I am missing some new high end brand, but I have never seen a gasser sell for $225k. But at the high end I am sure you are in the 37 foot range with higher end fixtures, furniture, washer, dryer, larger tanks, etc and all that equates to weight. Weight which chews up CCC. I've seen high end gassers with 10k hitches that don't have enough capacity to tow anything. gassers are great and fit a certain market and kudos to Ford for upgrading them.

* This post was edited 05/18/21 02:34pm by way2roll *

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi way2roll, I don’t remember which was which from Emblem to Encore but one had an MSRP of just over $223.000 and the other over $218,000.00. And of course no one pays MSRP, but some dealers aren’t coming down as much because of poor supply of the 2022’s. And as one can imagine you get up to $225 you’ve got to offer something. DP’s will be going up by the same percentages.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/21 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Even if power were the same, efficiency is much different. I went with the 6.7 Diesel over the gas primarily due to fuel economy. The cost in the truck was not vastly different but the mileage sure was.

With diesel costing more per gallon typically, the fuel economy no longer really holds up well. So what if you get 20% more MPG but a gallon costs 15% more.

Unless you are putting a million miles on it, you will never break even.

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think we’ve wondered into the weeds. This thread is more about the Coach (shell) than the engine that drives them. Meaning you can have a great floor plan made with good materials and not be a diesel. A gas coach maxes out at 38’ where a DP with tag axle stretches out to 45’. And you don’t see a 45’ gasser because a gas engine is not made to handle that kind of weight. Let’s try to stay in our lane. [emoticon]

And MPG and torque and how to eat pork, although interesting, isn’t the intent of this thread. So come out of you corners and shake hands.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/21 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

way2roll wrote:

With diesel costing more per gallon typically, the fuel economy no longer really holds up well. So what if you get 20% more MPG but a gallon costs 15% more.

Unless you are putting a million miles on it, you will never break even.

Locally we've flipped back to diesel being less expensive than gas.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gas Vs Diesel Yah-Yah-Yah!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.