Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Gas Vs Diesel Yah-Yah-Yah!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gas Vs Diesel Yah-Yah-Yah!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haven’t looked at a gasser in decades but based on problems posted on here most are still just modified trailers bolted to a overloaded Ford chassis...all kinds of posts on handling upgrades. Leaks still a common problem, partial board cabinets with staples and glue holding them together, and poor insulation/sound quality. Granted there are entry level DPs that aren’t much better although they usually do not have the handling problems and usually better CCC.

A few DPs do not just bolt the house to the chassis.
[image]

* This post was edited 05/19/21 05:21am by Ivylog *

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Come on IvyLog, that’s a little disingenuous isn’t it? I drive a Prevost Bus, the safest motorhome on the planet. And by bus standards no other motorhome is safe! My point and I think a reasonable one, there are some very good gas Class A motorhomes out there. Most of us have seen a DP on the side of the road showing it’s underbelly. But it never said to me “Don’t buy one”!

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So many of these opinions come from lack of knowledge. If you want to know exactly how to achieve the performance features you prefer, you first need to acquire a whole lot of knowledge in the field of motor vehicle chassis dynamics.
With the knowledge that I have on this subject, I will say that the only person that I know of who actually knew how to build a great motorhome (and did it) is the person who designed and built the COUNTRY COACH.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud Dancer, I think you’ve been puffing on that piece pipe too long. Country Coach ... Really?

Cloud Dancer

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I lived through the development of the Country Coach products when Bob Lee was in charge. And, I've done the research on the Eugene Prevost history. I built street rods during my high school years and got into oval track racing during my college years. I studied and practiced the technical elements of chassis dynamics. I became seriously interested in motorhome chassis dynamics due to the fact that I owned several during my auto racing involvement. BUT, I never puffed on a "piece" pipe nor a peace pipe.

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Cloud Dancer, Well said and we’ll done and thanks for pointing out my spelling error. Country Coach did in fact build a fine coach and are much sought after. You mentioned racing, what kind of cars did you race? I really enjoy NASCAR and have for years. Enjoyed dragsters as well, always a lot of fun.

Cloud Dancer

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker,
Sorry I'm late. It's good to hear we might be BOF's (birds of a feather). I started racing at age 13-1/2, in a 1952 650cc Triumph (my Dad had Harleys). I also seriously got into Enduro Go Karts (won 2 National titles and got inducted into the IKF Hall of Fame). Then, got into dirt Sprint cars (with and without wings). I won several track championships in Sprints. There's a lot more to my racing story, but I want to say more about motorhomes.

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Cloud Dancer, And yes I do believe we are kindred spirits. And we may have even had a few spirits to drink? I agree about our conversations on coaches.

Five spaces down from where my coach is parked is a 2021 Entegra Emblem, their top gas offering. I was talking to them outside their coach under the awning with a nice view of the lake 75 degrees and a light breeze. Yes, a nice setting for a beautiful Coach. They asked me into their coach and it was beautifully to say the least.

No... Not a diesel but a darn fine looking Class A Motorhome. Something I would hope any of us would be happy to have. But alas, you’ll not have that big diesel pump nozzle! Oh the pain of it all.

Cloud Dancer

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/21 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I owned, and used, five(5) pre-owned gas-engined motorhomes PRIOR to special-ordering my diesel-pusher Dutch Star. BUT, I knew from the start that there was NO gas motorhome that would satisfy my basic knowledge of RV design. The problem was, and still is, that I always insisted on paying cash for any motorized vehicle that I bought (including aircraft). This simply means that I've never bought a top shelf vehicle. I always bought a compromise vehicle.
I have a lot of experience and education, both of which have significantly enhanced my intuition. Yes, I believe you can enhance your initial intuition (requires explanation, I know).
Back to the subject: The Spartan chassis under my Dutch Star has some excellent design features, such as big tires, a 276 inch long wheelbase, a big rear-mounted torky engine with a big side radiator and big hydraulic-motored fan, a great IFS suspension with excellent steering system (with dampers), and a trick-design suspension with OPTIMUM spring rate RATIO whether empty or loaded.
I could go on and on, but I'll just say that while the comfort, the directional stability, and the handling are GREAT,....my Dutch Star is far from perfect. HOWEVER, there is no gas-engine motorhome that'll match it.

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/21 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud Dancer said: “Dutch Star is far from perfect. HOWEVER, there is no gas-engine motorhome that'll match it.”

That’s my point, or at least part of it. My coach cost just undert a million bucks new. Now how could that possibly match up with a $200,000 gas coach? In short it can’t! But what it can do is strand alone as a nice comfortable coach to be enjoyed for years!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gas Vs Diesel Yah-Yah-Yah!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.