Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Lifestyle: Back before cellphones
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Back before cellphones

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not have a smart phone, but I do have a pay by the minute Tracfone which can only make phone calls & does not connect to the internet. I only use it on trips, not at home where I have a VOIP.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to have to walk 20 miles to school and back, everyday, uphill both ways, through 10 feet of snow, barefoot!

But I always remembered to take my cellphone with me so I could text in school!

Awww, the good old days!

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

curt12914

Bombay NY (5 miles from Quebec, 15 from Ontario)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

2112 wrote:

We were in Medina Tx a few days ago and there is a working pay phone right outside of the Apple Store there. The 1st pay phone I've seen in years.

Are you sure it was working? You do occasionally see old non-functional ones still sitting around.

This thread seems to be the grumpy old man thread. How many want to go back to the old days of mechanical carbureted engines...because those pesky new fangled computers that come with fuel injected engines can fail.

We were just discussing carbureted engines a few days ago.

I, personally, would much rather have the computer controlled fuel injection than pumping twice before turning it over, flooded engines, out of adjustment carburetor, stuck choke with black smoke belching out of the tailpipe (washing down cylinder walls), and all the other great things from carburetors.

Everyone bragged that they got 20 miles per gallon (and a lot of them lied !). Now we would suspect a problem if we only got 20 mpg.

By the way, I resemble that grumpy old man thing...

2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always let someone know where we were staying each day so they could call the property if they really needed to reach us. We'd also call home every few days to let our moms know we were fine. That stopped when our moms passed away, mine in 1991 and MIL in 2019.

I don't understand the disdain for cell phones to stay in contact. How another person uses their phone or how much they use it shouldn't be of concern to anyone else. Their addiction, their problem. The resistance to them "just because" doesn't make any sense. Having lost multiple parents to long-term illnesses it gave us great peace of mind knowing we could be contacted if necessary. The pros outweigh the cons by a considerable margin.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couple years back I spent a few days at a nice out of the way Provincial CG I found when working out of town.

Cell service was iffy at best, I was lucky if I could get 1 bar.
But! At there was a pay phone standing there amongst the trees.
Looked rather funny, all these trees, and pay phone.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Currently under construction, big project! Will change this when done.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cell phones are great. But the addiction some people have to them is a little concerning and more than a little annoying.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course I remember pay phones quite well, having used them many times. I also remember picking up the home phone (rotary dial type of course) and hearing the neighbor talking away on the 'party line'... oops, quietly hang up and wait. And when calling long distance, always having the operator come on the line to ask, "your number, please."

The other day I bought a Bivy Stick and downloaded their app on my cell phone. My wife worries about me when I'm out of cell range for too long. Now I can text her via satellite, as long as I'm not too deep under the trees, and ease her mind that, yes dear, I'm still alive and uninjured. Every 2 minutes if need be. [emoticon]

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

Cell phones are great. But the addiction some people have to them is a little concerning and more than a little annoying.

Especially in a public place when they don't talk, but scream into the phone. That's what I find very annoying and rude.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

2112 wrote:

We were in Medina Tx a few days ago and there is a working pay phone right outside of the Apple Store there. The 1st pay phone I've seen in years.

Are you sure it was working? You do occasionally see old non-functional ones still sitting around.

I actually checked it to see if it had a dial tone but I didn't try to make a call. I was totally surprised to find a pay phone next to a sidewalk in the middle of a small town. Medina is a very small town.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People may think I'm addicted to my cell phone when I'm grocery shopping because I have my grocery list in my 'reminders' section.

It's perfect, during the days before going to the grocery I will voice text to the list when I see something that I need while at the house. For some reason, the minute I walk into the store, my mind goes blank! LOL!

I have all kind of the things in my phone to remind me of important events.... appointments, the restroom door code at Ralph's grocery store in Palm Springs, CA, etc.

I love technology...... I like the new safety features on my cars (bumper sensors, back-up camera's, lane control, adaptive cruise control, auto braking, etc.) I'm waiting for my flying car!

Safe travels,
MM.

Mr.Mark

(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2017 Lincoln MKX AWD V6 335 hp twin turbo.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Back before cellphones
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.