Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Lifestyle: Back before cellphones
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Back before cellphones

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about sending a fax of an oilwell log via a portable suitcase rotary fax machine that you inserted the handset of the payphone in a cradle on the machine and clipped an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet and stood in a phone booth at -20 below in the dark while the machine rotated away while the scanner made its way across the document, kind like an old gramophone. And then you do page 2....

All the while holding the machine up because there is nothing to set it on.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the town of Hill Point, WI there is a working pay phone in what looks like an outhouse. There are a lot of Amish people in the area and there is no cell coverage in many of the valleys around there. The outhouse design works out very well in the winter when it stays cold and windy from November until April.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went on a 2 week canoe trip in the Boundary waters back in '75 No way to contact us or find us. We just crossed our fingers when we got back everyone would still be there. Can you imagine what our grandparents/great grandparents went though sending their sons to war and no contact not even a letter for 6 months?

Yeah folks are just a bit to wrapped up in the idea of "cell phone security"

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

curt12914

Bombay NY (5 miles from Quebec, 15 from Ontario)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

In the town of Hill Point, WI there is a working pay phone in what looks like an outhouse. There are a lot of Amish people in the area and there is no cell coverage in many of the valleys around there. The outhouse design works out very well in the winter when it stays cold and windy from November until April.

An outhouse with a pay phone? That's what I call multi-tasking !!!

2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember we had a party line growing up and if we wanted to make a private call we would walk a block uptown and use the payphone. Seems strange that standing in a closed box on main street was more private than in your own house. In college there was 2 payphones for the whole dorm, now there would be 2 phones per room minimum with cell phones. One big event we go to use to have a bank of payphones and we would stand in line to use them. There is usually 5 or 6 of us camping together, we were joking the last time we were together that they used to have a dozen or so payphones for about 5000 people to share, now we had 6 phones in our campsite.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

We went on a 2 week canoe trip in the Boundary waters back in '75 No way to contact us or find us. We just crossed our fingers when we got back everyone would still be there. Can you imagine what our grandparents/great grandparents went though sending their sons to war and no contact not even a letter for 6 months?

Yeah folks are just a bit to wrapped up in the idea of "cell phone security"
The local radio station in Ely use to broadcast messages to people in remote areas of the Boundary Waters without communication.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cell phones gave us the freedom to travel. Ed's trucking company demanded 24/7 phone monitoring - when a driver needs info, they need it NOW. The only time we could take a vacation was when we could get someone to "take the phones". Now technology lets us be on the road, sightseeing - and still tend to business.

I'm grateful for the technology, even though I only use a tenth of what my phone is capable of...LOL!

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 03:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

Cell phones gave us the freedom to travel. Ed's trucking company demanded 24/7 phone monitoring - when a driver needs info, they need it NOW. The only time we could take a vacation was when we could get someone to "take the phones". Now technology lets us be on the road, sightseeing - and still tend to business.

I'm grateful for the technology, even though I only use a tenth of what my phone is capable of...LOL!
Yea, I've turned around on a trip out of town to retrieve my cell phone just in case a emergency occurs. Even though you only use a tenth of what your phone can do it's there if you decide to use it in the future.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 04:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of my favorite things is navigation technology. Put in your destination and follow with real time traffic and accident avoidance. I especially found it useful on the East coast where I had never been. Need to find someone's house in a major city put in the destination and drive right to it. Miss a turn recalculating immediately to an alternative route. Accident ahead turn off hear to avoid.

Remember when you use to get detailed instructions written down to find someone's house in a strange city?

curt12914

Bombay NY (5 miles from Quebec, 15 from Ontario)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/21 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As colliehauler said, I love the navigation (I use Google maps). Two years ago, I was headed to the Gettysburg, PA area. When I got close to Harrisburg, PA, my phone advised me of severe delays in Harrisburg and asked permission to reroute me. It took me further south on I-81, then routed me to RT 15 south of Harrisburg. After that route, I never plan on driving through Harrisburg again !

My biggest peeve with smart phones is having a gathering and people playing with their phone.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Back before cellphones
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.