Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Lifestyle: Back before cellphones
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Back before cellphones

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
BackOfThePack

Fort Worth

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used postcards. Daily. Some location particulars. Letters, weekly or more often. A phone call in an emergency until Dad put a Motorola radiotelephone in the Buick in 1962. $10/minute in today’s money.

Why would you need a phone? Our men were on every continent of this planet in the 1940s and life somehow went on without that device.

You wanna be slick, get a HAM license and “phone home” like the big boys used to do.

2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently found some post cards I had sent to parents 65 years ago. I was 15 and took off hitch hiking around the country. You could do that in the 1950s. Parents didn't have a phone so once in a while I sent a post card. Here I sit with an I-12 and wonder if anyone sends post cards anymore

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/21 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently finished some volunteer work at a fairly remote Scout camp. I had water hooked up but used my Solar for power and I did not have internet. I don't like to carry my pay as you go, cheapo, cell phone while I work, I soon became use to the peace and quiet of living there. My DW likes to hear from me so between 4pm and 6pm I had strict instruction to phone home.

Now that I'm home, the internet is not so important and neither is the cell phone. I do like the cell while we're on the road but no longer miss the rest of the gadgets.

Oh yeah, I'm an 80 year old grumpy old man.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

I recently finished some volunteer work at a fairly remote Scout camp. I had water hooked up but used my Solar for power and I did not have internet. I don't like to carry my pay as you go, cheapo, cell phone while I work, I soon became use to the peace and quiet of living there. My DW likes to hear from me so between 4pm and 6pm I had strict instruction to phone home.

Your mention of remote Scout camps reminded me of a trip I went on, as one of the leader, back in the early 90s. Our troop went on a High Adventure canoe trip in the back woods of Maine. We were assigned a guide to go with us and dropped off at a lake that was interconnected with several more lakes (Richardson Lakes). About half way through the trip we had to change plans because of some near hypothermia after a few days of rain. The guide carried a two-way radio to call in any problems or changes of plans. When he tried to call in he got no answer. Good thing we solved our own hypothermia problem. He even tried from the middle of one of the lakes, no answer. After a day of rest and warming we decided to hike to the top of a small mountain. He called in from the top and the other end wanted to know where he was at, said it about blew out their speaker he came in so strong. Turned out the batteries had went dead on one of their relay radios on a mountain top and they had not gotten around to hiking in to replace. On top of the mountain we had line of site with a working repeater or base camp. No one thought about being without a telephone for around 10 days. The boys were more concerned with how long we had to drive when we were back before we could find a McDonalds, since they had enough camp food and wanted "real" food. Can't imagine a trip like that now where ever boy and leader would have a cell phone. Wonder what the coverage is in the back woods of Maine?

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I recently found some post cards I had sent to parents 65 years ago. I was 15 and took off hitch hiking around the country. You could do that in the 1950s. Parents didn't have a phone so once in a while I sent a post card. Here I sit with an I-12 and wonder if anyone sends post cards anymore

Whats a postcard?
[emoticon] [emoticon]
I tried buying some postcards about 9 years ago to send to a friend (long story) I had a heck of a time even finding them.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A week and a half ago we were walking around the Lake Minniwanka park area (Across the highway from Banff).

We had our cameras, capturing shots of the area and I spotted this!
Thinking of this thread, I just had to take a picture of it.

And yes, I walked over to it and lifted the handset. It was working, I got a dialtone.

[image]

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember before cellphones when we walked to school, uphill both ways, in 4' of snow, with no shoes.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah me too, anything less than 2 miles was considered next door

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You all joke about that but I really did it. We didn't even have a car or a phone. Toys for Christmas?, if I was lucky I got a new pair of shoes from the Sears catalog. I just don't know how we lived like that looking at what I have today.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know how people enjoyed the RVing lifestyle before cellphones. How did you do the research required for multi month trips involving thousands of miles with all of the complications of weather delays & mechanical issues thrown into the mix?

Today is easy. The basic route is plotted out. CGs are found on the fly, usually making a same day reservation a few hours from the destination.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Back before cellphones
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.