Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Lifestyle: Back before cellphones
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Back before cellphones

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev
monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/22 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We particularly enjoy camping where the electronics are not available and only the birds make noise. Or the wind sings in the trees... or a coyote greets the moon.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/22 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jkwilson wrote:

Remember the rows of pay phones campgrounds had near the office? Phone calls when you changed campgrounds and periodically so people back home could get in touch if they had to. It was nothing to be out of touch for days if you were out west.

This came up last night as some neighbors complained about the lack of cell coverage in the campground and how “dangerous” it was to be unreachable.

Was a time about 20 years ago where we had some drunk out of control camping neighbors where I thought it could turn into a dangerous situation. Lucky for us they we not directing it at us but I had wished I had a cellphone in case the situation had changed for the worse. By the next year we had our first cells. Yeah sometimes I can find all the technology tiresome but that's not why we go camping. [emoticon]

Mike

2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Cassy0110

New York

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/22 02:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's okay. We are used to conviniences. Nothing strange

liamricci

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/22 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For some people it is necessary to be reachable during the day.
Lets not forget all of us who have online businesses and still work while traveling. We often use slack sms to get in touch with the clients or workers but for video calls we need a very good internet connection.

* This post was edited 06/28/22 04:01pm by liamricci *

Microlite Mike

NW Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/22 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jkwilson wrote:

Remember the rows of pay phones campgrounds had near the office? Phone calls when you changed campgrounds and periodically so people back home could get in touch if they had to. It was nothing to be out of touch for days if you were out west.

This came up last night as some neighbors complained about the lack of cell coverage in the campground and how “dangerous” it was to be unreachable.

Before cell phones I had to carry a pager and then find a phone booth when it went off. Campground booths and those near retail stores weren't bad but most of them on City Streets became too foul to use. Seems like too many thought they were also Urinals.

The campgrounds I prefer don't have either pay phones OR cell phone coverage. If any family emergency arises I can be reached through my Garmin InReach Mini. Takes some training on how to send the message but it's really nice as I get absolutely no Spam or Telemarketer calls. Any emergency on my end is handled by pushing the SOS button.

"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/22 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"But I texted you!!"
You texted me on my home phone? Good, that is a land line, did you see the note that said DO NOT TEXT! ???
My cell phone is for my business only client calls actually make it ring and even it have the text feature substantially disabled. (I couldn't remove it, but it is on a back screen and notification is turned off.
The business died in the last recession and I only carry the phone in case I break down on the road and it is not usually even turned on.
Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog (one is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/22 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found this little gem in downtown Georgetown Tx last week. No dial tone

[image]

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/22 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HAHAHAha ... It probably records the number you call so it can call it with telemarketing. The next step up in capturing phone numbers .... [emoticon] Fake street phones.

Where is the sarcasm emoji when we need it?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Back before cellphones
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.