cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

propane tank storage in truck bed

voodoo101
Explorer
Explorer
I see a need to do most of my grilling on my Weber Q1200 in the national forest this summer. I would like to take my 20# tank instead of the little $$$ one pound tanks that are hard to install. My old fiver has limited storage so the tank would have to ride in the truck bed. Any good solutions to securing a 20# tank from moving about on the road and from walking away when parked for shopping? I'm thinking a milk crate would stabilize it and a lock cable.
15 REPLIES 15

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
You may need to get a new hose and eliminate the regulator on the grill but if you have sufficient supply onboard the trailer, you could just connect into the trailer propane system.

Finally got around to doing this for the blackstone and it's quite nice as there is only a hose to store. The two 20# tanks lasted about 2 months (1 month per tank) over the winter using the furnace a fair bit.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
tank foot
Tank Foot.
I have had it over 20 years, though mine has a bigger base. Never had a tank fall over, truck bed, back of class-c or in a cargo trailer...
You will need to lock the tank if you want to secure it from theft, no mystery there.

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 20# in a milk crate, but now have a extra 30# also after dealing with an Ice Storm caused power outage. We couldn't get out for the first day, the following day we got out, but all local dealers were out of propane. The third day we got out to a dealer further away. the temps stayed in the low to mid 30's so using about 2 gallons a day for heating, cooking and hot water.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
stickdog wrote:
Been carrying one since we started fulling timing in a milk crate. Never locked it up. Guess I trust people. Now on 12th year on the road.

I didn't realize you could full time in a milk crate.
Sorry couldn't resist. Carry on.
Puma 30RKSS

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I packed a 20 or 30 lb cylinder between coolers or surrounded them with gas cans or other gear. Sometimes I run a cable lock through the gas can and cylinder carry handles and pad lock them to my truck rack. For the 6 lb and 11 lb cylinders, i usually lay both against the front of the wheel wells in the truck bed and pack other things around and on top of them. Then I use a bungee net over top everything in the bed.

voodoo101
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Milkcrate it is. Had someone try to steal the Honda 2000 out of my truck one night in a campground near Mt Hood, but it didn't change my camping.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Been carrying one since we started fulling timing in a milk crate. Never locked it up. Guess I trust people. Now on 12th year on the road.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:
I would also look into an Extend-a-flow
Egg crates work, but should add a cable (dog tether) and pad lock for security.

Look into extend a flow or get the LP adapters required to connect your grill to the RV's LP system.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would also look into an Extend-a-flow
Egg crates work, but should add a cable (dog tether) and pad lock for security.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use one to power my generator. I have a 5th wheel so I put it in the front storage, but just use a box - the size of a milk crate - works great and was free...

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Milk crate, and never locked it. Most will not even see it in the truck bed.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Over a decade ago we purchased a couple propane tank holders for our truck bed, still in use today. We have a locking metal rolling tonneau cover over our bed eliminating theft issues, we use bungee straps to keep propane tank in place. Amazon has a plethora of propane tank holders for truck beds, some are pretty nifty and are lockable as well.

milk Crate here also
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
YEP^^^^
Milk Crate and then secure it in place with straps
Potable propane cylinders fit perfectly in those and strapped they will stay put
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31