cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New camper towing

ChiefAndSweetie
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a 2013 Flagstaff 205 pop-up and would like to tow with my Chevy Traverse that didn’t come with tow pkg. I want to make sure I can tow the pop-up before I get a hitch added. Owners manual says towing capacity is 2000 and camper dry weight is 1900. I’m sure it’s not that simple and was hoping some experienced campers could advise?

Tina
24 REPLIES 24

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Just some more really world experience.

We had an 2009 AWD Traverse. No tow package. Added a hitch and towed a similar sized pop-up. No trailer brakes either. Didn't add a trans cooler or anything else.

Did not have any issues. Pulled great, stopped great, transmission didn't hunt, ran at normal temps. This even included pulling a few grades (at least as much as we get on the east coast)

We really liked the Traverse while we had it.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Florida:

FS316.24.3.c
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

sparkydave
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
mr_andyj wrote:
Legally, if your trailer has brakes, no matter how light the trailer is, you must have a working brake controller,...
Please provide a citation for your assertion.

Turns out he's not wrong, at least here in Ohio.

https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-4513.20

Does seem a little over-zealous and unenforceable though; the trailer may be light enough that it's not required to have brakes and still be within the capabilities of the tow vehicle, but if it happens to be equipped with brakes you MUST NOT TOW unless you have a brake controller installed. If you go remove the brake hardware, then you're A-OK. That's silly. I knew the breakaway switch was required if it had trailer brakes, but that doesn't depend on the tow vehicle.

I'm sure everyone around here gets a brake controller installed, seeing as how my popup did not originally have brakes (they were an option), but the exact same model now has them as standard equipment.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lots of good misinformation and lack of providing actual info by the OP, who apparently has tired of the discussion and moved on.
Or at very least isn’t furthering their potential solutions by way of this discussion.
Quite common on this forum...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
mr_andyj wrote:
Legally, if your trailer has brakes, no matter how light the trailer is, you must have a working brake controller,...
Please provide a citation for your assertion.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Legally, if your trailer has brakes, no matter how light the trailer is, you must have a working brake controller, and you must have a working battery on the trailer connected to the emergency break-away device.

Cops not likely to check for a brake controller, but they will test the battery for voltage in some cases.
If you have an accident then you will incur liability for not having the legal set-up.

Either take the brakes off or install controller, or at least have a battery for the break-away device.

If you plan to tow a lot of miles then the "proportional" controllers are way, way nicer than the "timed" ones and well worth the extra money. It is so much nicer, but the cheap-o one will do the job, it is just more jerky and annoying.

GOOD CONTROLLER, PROPORTIONAL

CHEAPO-O CONTROLLER, it will work

sparkydave
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Traverse (2010) without the tow package. The package added the heavy duty radiator, transmission cooler, wiring harness for the brake controller and trailer wiring, tow/haul switch to change the shift points, and the hitch. I towed my 2000 pound popup with no trouble. Yours will weigh a little more. If you visit the Traverse forums, there are folks who have added most of the equipment to get those features. You might have to buy the wiring harness to add a brake controller though, there's no easy way to get a brake signal without splicing into the wiring. There's no brake light switch on the brake pedal, trust me. It uses a brake pedal position sensor and the body control module provides the brake signal for the brake light and trailer harness.

I had brakes on my popup since I had previously towed it with a Honda CR-V, but never got around to installing the brake controller on the Traverse. I just used a T connector from eTrailer that installed behind the taillights to get the trailer lights.

ChiefAndSweetie
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the great info!

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
we had a traverse a few years ago. i didn't come with a tow package but with an add on hitch it hauled my 2500lb boat like it wasn't even back there.

When i looked into upgrading everything it became a cost issue to tow our TT. trans cooler is different, fuse box is different due to lack of brake controler wiring, no tow haul mode ect. its a $400 option to get the tow package but its a couple thousand after the fact to upgrade. Its cheaper to get one with the tow package. Theres alot of info if you google "traverse tow package". Ours was a lease so it wasn't worth it to me. with a tow package they can haul 5000lbs. without its significantly less.

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
My traverse was ok to tow 5000#, and handled a pop-up well. The towing package included hitch, transmission cooler and tow/haul mode, not sure what else. I guess you can add the hitch and maybe the cooler?? If towing in flat areas, you may be ok.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Last I knew, the Traverse was rated to tow 5000 lbs when properly equipped. Check with a service manager to verify this, and ask him what equipment was in the tow package. (As an alternative, if there is a Chevy Traverse owners' forum I bet they can tell you.) If you add the equipment that is critical, you can confidently tow the higher limit.

For example, my 2008 Toyota Highlander (very similar vehicle with 3.5L V6, 270 HP) was rated 2000 lbs without tow pkg and 5000 lbs with tow pkg. The main items in the tow package that enabled that rating boost were the extra transmission cooling capacity and a higher-output alternator (the latter is to keep up with the trailer's lights and charge line). I towed either a TT or a cargo trailer, up to 3500 lbs, at 60-62 mph for 140,000 miles with my Highlander and it still ran great when I sold it. The situation with your Traverse might be very similar.

I would recommend that the popup have brakes. If it doesn't, look behind the wheels for square backer plates with mounting holes; if you have those a brake kit can be added. Otherwise a new axle with brakes can be purchased for perhaps a grand.

Keep in mind that many members of this particular forum tend to think that you need at least a 3/4 ton diesel truck to tow anything. Your popup should tow pretty easily with its low frontal area. Get a class III receiver and whatever else the techies recommend, and go have some fun!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a lot never towed a pop up before. Its lighter , but still responds to physics. The max gross weight is closer to 3000. I wouldn't do it. Add roughly 350 for the extras towibg dry. And then your stuff, it will get up there quickly. And its more about stopping then towing it. Yes, tou xan tow it, but is your tv designed to stop it?
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
"If you are sticking with that vehicle,you need to add a transmission cooler and a transmission temp. gauge. In the 70s when I was a mechanic . I made plenty of money off people who thought if the engine was running cool the transmission was cool also."

You know this based on cars you used to work on almost 50 years ago?
I agree that trans temp is one of the critical concerns when towing, but the trailering package could simply be a hitch and maybe a brake controller wiring.
OP didn't even mention what year or trim/level of vehicle. Any of the variants are at least like 260hp and 6 or 9 speed, so capable from that standpoint.
But the OP needs to provide more info, or more succinctly, go do the research. Find a Chevy traverse website or talk to a dealer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
ChiefAndSweetie wrote:
Just purchased a 2013 Flagstaff 205 pop-up and would like to tow with my Chevy Traverse that didn’t come with tow pkg. I want to make sure I can tow the pop-up before I get a hitch added. Owners manual says towing capacity is 2000 and camper dry weight is 1900. I’m sure it’s not that simple and was hoping some experienced campers could advise?

Tina

If you are sticking with that vehicle,you need to add a transmission cooler and a transmission temp. gauge. In the 70s when I was a mechanic . I made plenty of money off people who thought if the engine was running cool the transmission was cool also.