Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: New camper towing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New camper towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
ChiefAndSweetie

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just purchased a 2013 Flagstaff 205 pop-up and would like to tow with my Chevy Traverse that didn’t come with tow pkg. I want to make sure I can tow the pop-up before I get a hitch added. Owners manual says towing capacity is 2000 and camper dry weight is 1900. I’m sure it’s not that simple and was hoping some experienced campers could advise?

Tina

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By the time you are ready to go you will exceed your towing capacity.
Not a good fit.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s a pop-up, I don’t see filling the basement storage or FW tanks as being a deal-breaker.

Put all the camping gear in the Traverse and drive carefully until you can get a frame hitch installed.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the pop ups the dry weight is just that, shipped from factory. So, you need to add in anything put in at the dealership for weight. So, ac, fridge, water heater , awning, propane tank, battery, and whatever else you have has to be added on to the dry weight. You will be over.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

It’s a pop-up, I don’t see filling the basement storage or FW tanks as being a deal-breaker.

Put all the camping gear in the Traverse and drive carefully until you can get a frame hitch installed.

How is that going to relieve the stress on the engine and transmission.

Heat will be generated and that is what leads to premature failure.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ChiefAndSweetie wrote:

Just purchased a 2013 Flagstaff 205 pop-up and would like to tow with my Chevy Traverse that didn’t come with tow pkg. I want to make sure I can tow the pop-up before I get a hitch added. Owners manual says towing capacity is 2000 and camper dry weight is 1900. I’m sure it’s not that simple and was hoping some experienced campers could advise?

Tina

I am hating to say this,but you are under vehicled. I see no way to make that combination work if your numbers are correct.
Open your drivers door, there will be a sticker, either on the door it self or the sill.
It will say something to the effect of "Weight of all cargo and passengers shall not exceed xxxx" And that means everything, from your cooler to spanky to the chicken nuggets under the seat.
Your empty trailer will be putting a bit over two hundred pounds of weight on your hitch before batteries and propane.

I know I am just some guy on the interwebs,but I would not operate that combination.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/21 04:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to stay within the trucks ratings, it's too much trailer.

You can choose to ignore the ratings (lots of people do) but then it's on you if something fails.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/21 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

If you want to stay within the trucks ratings, it's too much trailer.

You can choose to ignore the ratings (lots of people do) but then it's on you if something fails.

This!

Note that tow ratings are based on an empty vehicle with a full tank of gas and a driver (often around 150lbs). So, as you add your family, your gear, your dog, the weight of the hitch, etc... all of that weight comes off of the available towing capacity. Add in that the 1,900lbs for your pop-up doesn't even include a full bottle of propane, and you will be WAY overweight.

Whether or not you will be unsafe is arguable, and I won't make a claim on that one way or another. The only objective measure provided in these situations, however, is the vehicle's ratings, and you could easily be over that by a good 500-1,000 pounds. Whether or not you want to tax your vehicle in that way is entirely up to you!

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The good news is that pop-ups are easier to tow, and easier on the vehicle towing them because there is much, much less aerodynamic resistance.
Going steady down a flat road your Chevy Traverse will not care what the weight is, only how much wind resistance there is.
Climbing hills your Chevy Traverse will care only about the weight, even the less-than 6% hills on interstate.
I do not know what the limiter is for the Chevy Traverse. The transmission is the expensive and vulnerable component you need to worry about. If the trans is what is limiting the towing capacity to only 2,000lbs then I would be concerned.
Will you tow in flat areas for short distances, or
will you tow long distances through hilly country?
Makes a difference.
You can get away with short trips over flat roads with a slightly heavier trailer, but keep the acceleration slow.
Hills will greatly shorten the life of your transmission.
New vehicle time? If you really get into camping then your next move is to sell the pop-up and get a bigger trailer. You will go over-board and get the biggest thing on the lot, and soon regret it, sell it and get a reasonable size with compromises, and be stuck with that 3/4 ton truck you bought to tow it with.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/21 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A question you might ask is what is the tow rating of a Traverse with a tow package? Do they make a Traverse with a tow package? If it is enough, then what is the difference? Then you can look at adding those features to your vehicle, it could be a transmission cooler, larger radiator, trailer brake controller, and possibly other items. If it is impossible to add the correct items to allow you to tow, then you have 2 options, do it anyway and hope nothing happens, or upgrade your vehicle.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New camper towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.