Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: internet
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> internet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
scout dad

okc

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/21 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi is there a source that I can get internet for a short time like 3 months? I at a park where there is no wifi unless I go into town about 15 minutes away would like to be able check at site is there a wifi card you can purchase like the old phone cards?
Thanks

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What did you use to make your post?

scout dad

okc

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/21 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have it at my home, I am not there , son is using trailer didn't want to go into long ordeal.

Don't need comments asking how made it. Thanks

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scout dad wrote:

Hi is there a source that I can get internet for a short time like 3 months? I at a park where there is no wifi unless I go into town about 15 minutes away would like to be able check at site is there a wifi card you can purchase like the old phone cards?
Thanks

If you have a smartphone, you can probably use it as a Wifi hotspot so you can connect your laptop and other devices to it for internet access. But you might need to upgrade your cellular plan to allow hotspot usage.

Another option is to get a prepaid hotspot plan and use that for the few months you need it.

If there's no cellular coverage where you're at, your options are much more limited. Starlink satellite internet is a possibility, but is still in high demand and hard to get in most areas (and expensive for short term use, equipment alone is $500). Traditional satellite internet is another possibility, but it's expensive too (both for equipment and the service).

If there's phone or cable service where you're parked, you could look at getting a DSL or Cable internet line installed.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

If you have a smartphone, you can probably use it as a Wifi hotspot so you can connect your laptop and other devices to it for internet access. But you might need to upgrade your cellular plan to allow hotspot usage.

Another option is to get a prepaid hotspot plan and use that for the few months you need it.

If there's no cellular coverage where you're at, your options are much more limited.

I would say NON_EXISTENT !

If you have a weak signal (1 or 2 bars) then buying cellphone to Wifi router with an external antenna can make a BIG DIFFERENCE !

You might want to check into Nomad Internet. 7 day free trial. No contract. They will fix you up with a cellphone to Wifi router.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several sources.
First how is your cell pone.. Good signal> Call them and see if they can provide via the hotspot app on your phone... In fact that is #1 on my suggestion list.

2nd: Pay by the month plans.. Contact several cewll stores Virgin Mobile used to have such a plan pay by the Gigabyte. I do not recommend.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 02:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As suggested if your cellphone works where you will be for those 3 months, that is probably the best option
No other devices to buy
Just add hotspot service to your cell pLAN, turn off when you return home
Or
Upgrade your phone and your cellular plan
Assuming this is work related ? You can add it too your expenses when you file your taxes next year
Also assuming this is work related, what ever the expense, is better than not getting a paycheck/ income for 3 months
And it is a business expense tax deduction
If it's for personal use pleasure, you have to weigh the cost, against the entertainment value, and unless you are on free land with NO camping fees for those 3 months, the internet data service is going too be one of your lessor expenses compared to campsite fees, travel fuel etc..
You have to look at the big picture,

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Heisenberg

West Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would find who has the best signal at your location and shop them for data.
AT&T and Verizon have the best coverages by far west of the Mississippi. A good system is of no use if there is not signal. LTE far surpassed 4G or HSPA+ in my travels. I use a weboost sleek for low signals.

2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

JimR 1

Custer South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I went to a camp that did not have WIFI I bought a Verizon phone , a Moto G4 ??, that had hot spot capability and bought the plan that worked for me, I think it was unlimited with 30 GB of data. Good for email and banking not streaming HD movies. Cost about $50.00 a month and the phone was about $70.00 and worked for two seasons. I did have an AT&T iPhone but Verizon was the only service that worked in my location. So the things to think about are what service works where you are going and is there a cheap phone or device to buy that will work read the fine print. Oh the Verizon plan was Pre-Pay so when done no more payments and not locked into a contract.

JimR

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/21 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wife and I have two separate Cell Phone services. We both have hotspot, we can get Internet nearly anywhere in the country on one or the other - unless we are in the backcountry, and sometimes, even then.

That would be a very good alternative to any other option. Pay attention to Mr Wizard post above. Excellent information,

We have Verizon on one phone and T-Mobile on the other. Good hotspot on both.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> internet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.