cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended jack stand ground support plates.

mt-ed
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure if I searched for the wrong subject, but I wasn't able to find anything there.

I would like to know what, if anything, others have found to work as good weight distribution devices you use when supporting your campers on soft ground with the jack stands, to keep them from sinking in?

Thanks again in advance!
17 REPLIES 17

Avid_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
2x8 cut into 12" sections. They double as leveling blocks for wheels, can be put in campfire when they break, and are easily and cheaply replaced every year or so, wherever I am.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Just back from 3 NASCAR races...Bristol, Martinsville, and Richmond. Lots of rain and soft dirt campgrounds. I used 24" X 24" 5/8" plywood under the the front legs of the 5th wheel. Used plastic under the middle legs and the same size plywood under the rear legs. No problems. I did see a Class C stuck at Martinsville.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Arizona, the dirt can be hard as concrete - until it rains.
And then it's soft as a marshmallow.

Your heart pounds fast when you see that camper foot sinking into the ground.
It pounds even faster if you attempt to lift the jack and see it sink even further into the ground.

If you take the camper off the truck on an unfamiliar earth surface, be sure to have a large strong pad - something like the 14" x 14" pad that JoeOkiChokie in soggyland suggested.

Personally, I won't take the camper off the truck unless it has substantial footing under it.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
We had truck campers in the late '60s/'70s and early 80s till we went with 5th wheel rv trailers.
Camping on COE properties back then required making your own campsite. We fished so camping close the the shore to park our boats next camp was best. This required a shovel for digging one side or end of the trucks tires down and lots of wood for cribbing up the other side/end of the truck up.
I still carry a good wood pile ...which most is from that era.

For camping on soft dirt/mud I use 1" X 14" x 14" plywood under the jacks. These have parachute cord attached for pulling them up out of bottomless river bottom mud.
They work for asphalt parking pads especially when temps hit 110+ and camp pad thin asphalt gets soft.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Frank Calliendo on Bob and Tom.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Reality Check wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^Mole hill, meet mountain...lol

Refreshingly, Capt Obvious has arrived... lol

That would be Mr. Obvious as in..
Hello Mr. Obvious, long time listener, first time caller. I think I have a wild animal in the pipes under the sink. Whenever I flip this switch it makes the animal mad and it growls...

What comedian did that routine?

But yes, mole hill meet mountain.
Scrap plywood until it slowly melts away into the mud.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
14x14 3/4" marine plywood squares have served me well as jack pads for many years :).
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
I use a chunk of 2x8 about 1' long. Those plastic jack pads and snap-together ramps are too slippery and allow the camper to 'walk' if the lift or lower is uneven. A weathered 2x8 has plenty of grip.

That is interesting, I have never had that issue with mine. I put the honeycomb side up and put the jack leg right on it and it stays put.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I use a chunk of 2x8 about 1' long. Those plastic jack pads and snap-together ramps are too slippery and allow the camper to 'walk' if the lift or lower is uneven. A weathered 2x8 has plenty of grip.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
I had to go back and search a ways back on amazon, had these camco jack pads for a while now, they work great on the sand.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BNZ9UM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_VXRSWJF5GQYXT5R8T6P3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:

Refreshingly, Capt Obvious has arrived... lol
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of difference. How much weight? Will there be any movement? How soft is the ground? How long will it set, will water/plywood cause problems? Do you want the load to slip on the plate?
Under the front jacks will running over the bases cause issues? If so, that plate must be larger to hold off-center load.

mt-ed
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys....simple....inexpensive.....my kind of solution!!