Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: Avoid Silverton Colorado
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Avoid Silverton Colorado

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe some non-OHV users will be able to get camping reservations in town, where they could not do so previously. There are upsides and downsides to everything.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad I found this post, because the next time I was thinking of going
to Silverton, I would have taken my UTV.

I'm betting there will be a lot of people that show up to Silverton for the camping reservations they made months ago, and be disappointed that they can't ride their UTVs from their camp sire.

I was in Silverton last year. In some case, people have a big motorhome and an enclosed trailer for their UTV / SxS. It's not practical to use that rig to haul out to the various trail heads like you can do with a truck and trailer.

I'm sure after a while, the noise gets annoying to the local town folks. I never saw any reckless or obnoxious behavior by the OHV folk when I was there.

A lot of the gift shop traffic comes day trippers passing through, or from people arriving on the train. The train didn't go to Silverton last season.

I've been to Silverton 3 times. 2009, 2010 and 2020. It used to be all Jeeps and a handful of quads. Last year it was UTVs / SxS and very few Jeeps.

* This post was edited 05/26/21 05:58pm by deltabravo *

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some people complain a bout how noisy utv's are but they never outlaw and enforce the noisiest vehicles on the road-Harley Davidson motorcycles.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

FWC

The Wilderness

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I entirely understand the residents of Silverton objection to ATV/UTVs, living with this on a day-to-day basis would have a major impact on quality of life. This is also not just a Silverton issue, Moab and lots of other towns are having this same discussion.

To start with, there are no street legal ATVs/UTVs in Colorado, and by default it is not legal to ride these on public streets. Silverton had made an exception to allow these on roads in town (as had Lake City etc) however I don't think anyone quite realized the volume of vehicles that this would eventually turn into and the resulting noise, dust and bad behavior. Not allowing ATVs on roads is really just going back to the status quo, not banning something that is otherwise allowed.

While I am sure the people who profit off ATVs are not happy about this, everyone else in town was bearing the brunt and reduced quality of life and have now spoken up about it. This is further exacerbated by the fact that many of the UTVs are rentals by folks with little experience in riding these, and little respect for public lands and the residents of Silverton. There has been discussion of a moratorium on any more ATV/UTV rental outfits in the area (as Moab has done) to try and reduce this impact.

I also hear you about loud Harley and other street legal motorbikes, but that is a very hard thing to enforce on a local level. I do wish the national parks would install decibel meters near the entrances and if you are above the legal limits they would not let you in.

* This post was edited 05/21/21 08:05pm by FWC *

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm guessing it won't take the surrounding land owners long to realize there is a potential to make money by leasing out Right of ways to the campgrounds. Create a trail to the trails and everybody is happy.

2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

I'm guessing it won't take the surrounding land owners long to realize there is a potential to make money by leasing out Right of ways to the campgrounds. Create a trail to the trails and everybody is happy.

That really isn't possible in Silverton. The routes used to go exploring the old mines and what not are not trails, they are county roads, which are used by street legal vehicle traffic. There's no way to make OHV routes through already owned property through town to bypass the city streets in order to gain access to the spots where the ATVs/OHVs had to trailer to before, the main one was at Eureka.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sagebrush wrote:

I can understand, there are so many obnoxiously loud and aggressive OHV's that ruin it for everyone else that do try to be considerate. They should just make the OHV's street legal like a Dual Sport, put license plates on them all nationwide. Enforce the traffic and noise laws and don't punish the non-idiots. But there aren't that many reasonable minded folks around anymore I'm afraid. Its anything goes or nothing goes. Everyone wants zero responsibility. I've been hit by idiots way over their head on the trails, I bet they had issues in the town too. No insurance on those usually, you hit a car or run over a kid, goat, cow, maybe the mayor and look out. I carry liability insurance just in case. No one is perfect, **** happens. [emoticon]
Our OHV's are plated, insured, and street legal. We also pay an OHV $25 fee to drive in Colorado.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I started this thread a dozen pages ago. Here is an update:

I wrote the following to the Silverton Mayor:

I just learned of the city council vote to ban OHV vehicles in town. This news is sad to hear. I guess the townspeople want quiet streets and quiet cash registers.

We were in Silverton last September for a week of OHV riding and spending money in the local economy. It seemed to us that most all the people staying in town at RV parks were also driving OHV vehicles.

We thought we were helping the local economy by eating our meals in local restaurants and shopping in local stores.

It's sad to learn that the people of Silverton no longer want the business of OHV vehicle owners and renters.

My friends and I will no longer be spending our money in Silverton and hope the town can do without us. We will be looking at other towns that want our business.

The Mayor replied:

Thank you for your email. This decision, with the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens at the forefront, was not taken lightly.

I apologize for any negative impact this decision may have on you and your family and we hope to see you in Silverton in the future.

I wrote the following to the owners of the Silver Summit RV Park we stay at:

Just letting you know we won't be returning to your park after your city council just voted to ban all OHV traffic in town. We love Silverton but Silverton doesn't love us.

The owner wrote back:

There might still be a slim chance of overturning the vote, but I don't think that the odds are in our favor.

I don't blame you for not feeling the love. We aren't feeling it either. The mayor and much of the current board are definitely not business friendly.

ME: So there you have it, a BS reply from the Mayor and the reply from a concerned business owner stating the city council isn't business friendly.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/21 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One down.
Have you been to Sedona? The worst thing about Sedona is those side-by-sides! They suckk. Noisy, and totally trash the dirt roads. They are rented by vacationers that shoulda gone and rode the roller coaster. They treat this nice peaceful wonder like a race track and think they are not annoying.
Did I mention that the dirt roads are destroyed all the time because of these side by sides?
Worst thing ever!

dedmiston

Coast to Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/21 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr_andyj wrote:

One down.
Have you been to Sedona? The worst thing about Sedona is those side-by-sides! They suckk. Noisy, and totally trash the dirt roads. They are rented by vacationers that shoulda gone and rode the roller coaster. They treat this nice peaceful wonder like a race track and think they are not annoying.
Did I mention that the dirt roads are destroyed all the time because of these side by sides?
Worst thing ever!

That’s definitely a minority opinion here in the Toy Hauler Forum.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Avoid Silverton Colorado
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.