cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIRECT TV or DISH?

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
Considering dropping DIRECT TV for DISH. Looking for opinion/experiences for those who may have done the same. Thinking of using a permanently mounted TAILGATER satellite dish.

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.
16 REPLIES 16

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
No matter, DTV!

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Sale of DirecTV expected to close in the second half of 2021; so who knows what it will be like.

AT&T to Sell Stake in DirecTV and Video Business to TPG

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
We were long time DirecTV customers (10+ years). We switched from Comcast and it was as if we bought a new TV. Great picture and at first, great customer service. Then the customer service and billing policies turned bad. Really bad.

So we switched to Dish. The big difference has been the way the interface works. It's much better. Better features and more advanced hardware.

When we moved, we had trouble getting Dish installed at our new place. The tech kept on missing appointments. We already had Comcast/Xfiinity for internet and it was a simple phone call and drive to the local store to get the TV hardware. So after 10+ years with Dish, we gave Xfinity a try.

OMG. Xfinity sucks. Horrible interface. Really slow. Programming that we setup kept on disappearing. The customer support was like going to a Ram dealership. It exists but they're clueless and nothing will get fixed. They aren't capable if the manufacture isn't capable.

After giving Xfinity a chance for 7 months, we called Dish and this time, the tech had everything installed within 12 hours.

Our choice: DishTV

If DishTV didn't exist, I'd get Xfinity over DirecTV just because DirecTV's billing department is worse than any company I have ever dealt with. And, this is coming from a former 10 year customer that has never missed or been late on a payment. The only organization worse than DirecTV is Ram and the only thing worse than Ram is Bye-Don and his commie cronies.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. Going to stay with DIRECT TV for the time being. Some of the "The devil you know..." I guess.

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
I hope Starlink service grows, it looks very good so far. Most of the places I camp there are no cable or wireless services, so no dish means no live TV. Thats okay sometimes.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Unless the OP boondocks or dry camps a lot where there is no internet signal.
Starlink.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
You may want to consider dumping the whole satellite tv thing. More and more CGs are getting better internet, you can stream through a phone, TVs are smart, and Starlink is going up . . .

Unless the OP boondocks or dry camps a lot where there is no internet signal.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to consider dumping the whole satellite tv thing. More and more CGs are getting better internet, you can stream through a phone, TVs are smart, and Starlink is going up.

I've had DTV for 20 years, but find with better connectivity I'm watching it less and less.

Changing locals and DNS became such a pain that I changed my service address to LA, and I get those channels everywhere.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Had DirecTV until the company changed the satellite configurations and rendered dome antennas useless, unless you want to watch TV in Standard Definition. At that point, I switched to Dish for home and RV. Three plus years ago, I dropped Dish from the house only because the local cable company has been giving me a very competitive bundle price for internet, TV and phone. I now use the pay-as-you-go Dish plan and I'm very satisfied.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I can only give you information or opinion on Dish as that's all we've had with our satellite. Their support has been prompt. Rarely did we get someone who you could tell was walking us through a script. Now we just use our cell phone to reinitialize when we've had it off for awhile.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
We have had Directv for so many years I can't remember. First they took away our DNS channels then forced us into upgrading to high definition which relegated our Winegard Traveler roof antenna on the motorhome to the junk yard. Their customer support which is out of God knows where is almost no help with any problem. Right now I am only paying $12.99 a month for 155 channels because I complained so much. come Oct 1 when it goes to $69.99 I will drop them for good. Words can't explain how much I hate Directv.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
We had HD with Direct

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both over the years and I actually worked for Directv or actually ATT. I still preferred Dish, faster set up and the DVR was better ever since the Hopper came out and it still is the best DVR. It took years for Directv to catch up to Dish on using the single coax feeds. Ever install three coax cables to your LNB and run that inside? Its a pain, glad those days are long gone. Dish also is not a monopoly still, nothing like ATT. ATT has the worst customer service I've experienced, I still get my wireless through them and I have to go to a store to get anything fixed on my account, phone help is painful. Dish has been okay, I get through to a real person fairly easily. I've had a few hardware repairs and storm damage, they fixed it, no drama. At least here in Alabama, my whole Family uses Dish.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
About 8 months ago we switched from Direct to Dish and are happy we did. Equal or better programming at a slight savings. We recently bought a Playmaker and Wally for the RV and for $5 per month it fills or needs. The equipment is much better but there is a learning curve with the remote. In the RV With Direct we had a satellite system but we had to use a SD receiver. With Dish we have HD.