Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: F150 Lightening
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F150 Lightening

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

noteven wrote:

I figured 35% efficiency for combustion engines. 337,000,000 gals x 35%

What percentage did you use for the electrical side of the equation?

I didn’t - I’m electrically challenged.

If a generating station is “1000 mega watt” is that the same as saying “1000 MW per hour” ?

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/21 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

noteven wrote:

I figured 35% efficiency for combustion engines. 337,000,000 gals x 35%

What percentage did you use for the electrical side of the equation?

I didn’t - I’m electrically challenged.

If a generating station is “1000 mega watt” is that the same as saying “1000 MW per hour” ?

I took a look at the gas vs electric issue from a different angle. This is the worst case scenario. I don't know why I bother to say that because several people here want to act like it is the norm rather than a rare exception. Anyway, if I were to use a Honda EU 7000 to charge my Tesla Model Y it would get 25 mpg. My wife, who is a bit of a lead foot, only got about 20mpg from her much smaller Kia Optima. Even under this worst case scenario driving the Tesla reduces her carbon output by 20%.

The reality here is that most of our power comes from hydro and nuclear with a fair amount of solar mixed in. TVA does still have some coal plants but they are being phased out so our real carbon output is reduced much more than 80%.

This calculation is based on the EU 7000 generator producing rated output of 5500 watts for 6 hours while using one 5.1gal tank of fuel vs the Tesla needing 250 watt/hrs per mile.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/21 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

This calculation is based on the EU 7000 generator producing rated output of 5500 watts for 6 hours while using one 5.1gal tank of fuel vs the Tesla needing 250 watt/hrs per mile.

Yeah right!

There is no such thing s economy of scale and we all don't know that these plants all along have been using regular gasoline to run their generators.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/21 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Groover wrote:

Yeah right!

There is no such thing s economy of scale and we all don't know that these plants all along have been using regular gasoline to run their generators.

Huh?

stsmark

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/21 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Double huh? I saw my first Mach E in the flesh the other night and I like it. Being in NorCal Tesla’s are everywhere. There’s actually 2 E Trons in my neighborhood.
Looking forward to the Lightning if it fits your needs why not?

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/21 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before a new argument over generator fuel gets going…

Isn’t a watt a watt regardless of the energy source that was converted to generate it?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/21 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

Before a new argument over generator fuel gets going…

Isn’t a watt a watt regardless of the energy source that was converted to generate it?
Of course.

Unfortunately the calculated need for electricity is coming from converting the amount of crude burned instead of the EV miles driven.

* This post was edited 06/16/21 12:03pm by time2roll *

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/21 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, satire is dead in the simplistic world where generators is comparable in scale to yuge generating plant and their management are too dumb not to take advantage of the shift in demand to build the capacities and the distribution grid to deliver it. Wait, Texas and Florida are failing on those and you two maybe right after all.[emoticon]

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/21 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No calls from CA to conserve in this week's heat wave.

Grid status: Normal

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/21 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Yeah, satire is dead in the simplistic world where generators is comparable in scale to yuge generating plant and their management are too dumb not to take advantage of the shift in demand to build the capacities and the distribution grid to deliver it. Wait, Texas and Florida are failing on those and you two maybe right after all.[emoticon]
I beleive Texas is having issues this week because of extremely hot weather and lack of wind. Texas also had a influx of 322,000 people last year alone. They have to much capacity tied to wind power. I think if a lot of new homes would utilize solar panels it would go a long ways in the sunbelt to elevate peak energy demand. When I build my new garage I will look at installing a large solar panel system.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F150 Lightening
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.