Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: F150 Lightening
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F150 Lightening

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/21 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

wing_zealot wrote:

Reisender wrote:

I don’t know. Reading the F150 forum it seems an F150 gasser loses about 40 to 50 percent of its range towing, and that jives with our old GMC 2500 with a 350. A cybertruck with an 800 kilometres range will probably lose about the same. I can see a Cybertruck towing a 6000 to 7000 pound trailer 350 kilometres. The F150 lightning at least for now with its smaller battery and un aerodynamic shape will be less. But a lot of RVers don’t pull 6000 pound trailers, and they are not all shaped like a brick.

Time will tell.

Jmho. Not an expert.
You’re right, my F150 loses about 40% of its range when I tow. So I can only go about 400 miles without stopping.

Yah so the 500 kilometre version would work for many around here...
You’re mixing apples and oranges. I’m talking towing miles under real world conditions.

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/21 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deleted

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/21 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

Reisender wrote:

wing_zealot wrote:

Reisender wrote:

I don’t know. Reading the F150 forum it seems an F150 gasser loses about 40 to 50 percent of its range towing, and that jives with our old GMC 2500 with a 350. A cybertruck with an 800 kilometres range will probably lose about the same. I can see a Cybertruck towing a 6000 to 7000 pound trailer 350 kilometres. The F150 lightning at least for now with its smaller battery and un aerodynamic shape will be less. But a lot of RVers don’t pull 6000 pound trailers, and they are not all shaped like a brick.

Time will tell.

Jmho. Not an expert.
You’re right, my F150 loses about 40% of its range when I tow. So I can only go about 400 miles without stopping.

Yah so the 500 kilometre version would work for many around here...
You’re mixing apples and oranges. I’m talking towing miles under real world conditions.

So am I. If you need to tow for 8 or 10 hours a day get a gasser or diesel. But many don’t have that need and would prefer the driving dynamic, ability to fuel at home and lie maintenance of an EV. Buy the right tool for the job it needs to do. A vehicle that can tow 600 kilometres at a shot wouldn’t really have any advantage for us as we would stop at least three or four times on a trip like that. Probably more.

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/21 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

RambleOnNW wrote:

A hydrogen fueled truck would make a lot more sense. The battery trucks will require an hour charging for every 150-200 miles of driving. What is needed is fueling stations.

Take a look at this hydrogen SUV. 380 mile range, 4000 lb. towing, and 5 minute refueling:
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/vehicles/nexo/compare-specs

The Nexo is nice. But holy carp, talk about expensive fuel. And presently very hard to find. Still, nice little SUV.

Cheaper than diesel green hydrogen is on the way. It takes around 58 kWh to generate a kg of hydrogen and with power purchase agreements dropping to 2 cents/kWh as in the following link the raw generation costs will drop.

https://emp.lbl.gov/pv-ppa-prices

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/21 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

So am I. If you need to tow for 8 or 10 hours a day get a gasser or diesel. But many don’t have that need and would prefer the driving dynamic, ability to fuel at home and lie maintenance of an EV. Buy the right tool for the job it needs to do. A vehicle that can tow 600 kilometres at a shot wouldn’t really have any advantage for us as we would stop at least three or four times on a trip like that. Probably more.

So am I. In my planner is a 756 mile first leg of a camping trip and it has 5 stops. So that's less than 200-mile average. And I'mm using a gasser.

I don't see this kind of camping stops changing when I get my Cybertruck (or, as one heckler post here, "if" I get it).[emoticon]

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/21 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My next truck without a doubt will have a ICE. Also I'm not feeling those coil rear springs, otherwise it's a nice looking truck.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/21 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RambleOnNW wrote:

Cheaper than diesel green hydrogen is on the way. It takes around 58 kWh to generate a kg of hydrogen and with power purchase agreements dropping to 2 cents/kWh as in the following link the raw generation costs will drop.

https://emp.lbl.gov/pv-ppa-prices
kg of hydrogen is about the same energy as a gallon of gasoline. So you get 25 to 50 miles.

Or you could drive 3 to 4 miles on each kWh directly in an EV. 58 kWh = 174 to 232 miles.

Your call, same cost. Either will also lose half the range when towing.

Industry needs to improve the hydrogen conversion efficiency to compete economically in most applications.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/21 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took a ride in the new 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning

Unfortunately, that's not me.[emoticon]

F150 Lightning test (shotgun).

Not too shabby but still, for our purpose, what's the towing range (and that's not what we tow).

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/21 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford is now planning to spend $30 billion on vehicle electrification by 2025

There is no turning back for Ford.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/21 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Ford is now planning to spend $30 billion on vehicle electrification by 2025

There is no turning back for Ford.

I’m still not seeing any concrete commitment to charging infrastructure development. Relying on public infrastructure is proving to be a bad bet for other manufacturers. And developing their super app that hopes to integrate all the public charging networks into a better charging experience is so far not working out well for Mach E buyers. JMHO, but unless there is some kind of federal international (North American) leadership like tge europeans did their best bet would be to start building out a private ford version of the Supercharger network. Same for GM and Chrysler and Rivian and...... This is and will remain Tesla’s HUGE moat.

JMHO.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F150 Lightening
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.