Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Portable Camping Stove Design Issue
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Portable Camping Stove Design Issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

porterwake wrote:

So I have a popup camper too, with a stove that moves from inside to outside. How nice since there are gas lines in both spots.

I hook the stove up, push the button down to lite, and try to light the burner. Nothing. Check that all valves are open, gas tank full, furnace works great. Nothing.

Take the stove unit, apart and this is what is under the top plate.
[image]

Curious about this design. I was going to say that I'm not chemist but, I am a chemist and gas doesn't follow a path that is open.

Pressurized gas at a high velocity however does "follow a path that is open" and shoots by those open spots creating a vacuum, siphoning the correct amount of air and mixing the gas and air at the same time to the correct ratio to burn correctly.

This isn't a "chemist" thing..

If stove works fine indoors but not outdoors you could have several things causing that..

#1, do you have gas at the connection?

Do you smell the odorant that is put into the propane when stove valve is on? You should smell it when not lit..

Sometimes you may find a shutoff valve inline with the quick disconnect, it may be turned off as a default for safety as quick connects sometimes leak when not connected..

Quick disconnects can also fail to pass gas when connected, did it ever work?

#2 too much wind?

While the burner and air gap may be protected from the wind pretty well, it doesn't take a lot of wind getting around the protection to prevent proper fuel to air mix. May need to create an additional wind break to shield stove in that case..

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. You DO HAVE a regulator. Period. While you see the Tank hose at the tank, there IS a regulator connected to that hose.
2. The Gas line at the pic of the Range, that silver thing is the Range Regulator and it is there to drop the RV LP pressure from 11.5 inches to 10 inches which is what most RV Range/Ovens operate at.
3. Clarify, IF the Range is inside the RV in its mount hole does it operate and light OK?
4. It only fails to operate correctly when mounted outside?
5. If mounted outside, can you light the burners with a match?
6. Last, from your pic, there does NOT appear to be a Piezo or auto ignitor system. Your Range must be manually lit with a match or flame. Doug

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

...Quick disconnects can also fail to pass gas...
Unlike me, lately.

Quote:

#2 too much wind?
Yep, that's my problem! [emoticon]

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 04:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of people, including me, give up on the portable stove that comes with the camper.

Think about a Weber, Coleman, or similar portable camping stove. You may be happier in the long run.

porterwake

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

1. You DO HAVE a regulator. Period. While you see the Tank hose at the tank, there IS a regulator connected to that hose.
2. The Gas line at the pic of the Range, that silver thing is the Range Regulator and it is there to drop the RV LP pressure from 11.5 inches to 10 inches which is what most RV Range/Ovens operate at.
3. Clarify, IF the Range is inside the RV in its mount hole does it operate and light OK?
6. Last, from your pic, there does NOT appear to be a Piezo or auto ignitor system. Your Range must be manually lit with a match or flame. Doug

3. Inside or outside, the gas does not make it to the burner. When I light the gas at the knobs, it lights, but very weakly. There is no hiss from even the opening at the knobs.

sparkydave

Macedonia, OH

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI, I had a problem with my popup when I tried to use the stove outside. Thanks to lousy design, the hose was connected to a pipe that came straight up from the floor, and it made a 180 degree bend. Routing the hose to the outside the hose would kink and cut off the gas. I had to add a 90 degree elbow fitting to keep the gas line from kinking.

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since the furnace works it's possible you have a clogged or pinched gas line or the regulator in the stove is shot.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

porterwake wrote:

3. Inside or outside, the gas does not make it to the burner. When I light the gas at the knobs, it lights, but very weakly. There is no hiss from even the opening at the knobs.

Maybe the orifices are clogged, or maybe the stove's regulator is being very much overzealous (or otherwise having the gas supply constricted). If all the burners are behaving identically, I'd tend to suspect things common to all three.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

porterwake wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

I assume you have a spring loaded LP quick connect. It is probably the Center pin inside the quick connect is NOT seating squarely and pushing the inside pin inward to release the LP. You need to remove the FEED fitting(LP turned OFF at tank) and then have someone open the LP tank valve. If you feel and hear a good stream of LP the quick connect is your problem. Doug

PS, VERY common problem when trying to use the outside LP connection, very strange it also fails inside.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/21 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

If that is a regulator where the copper line is attached, you cannot have two regulators, one at the tank and another in the stove. Possibly the wrong stove was supplied.

Not necessarly true
The RV has a primary regulator 11" of water is the pressure
And the stove often has a secondary regulator at a LOWER pressure.

To the original poster
First follow the lines to insure that both are low pressure ports (I suspect they are but check to be sure) also inspect the lines to the non-working port.

Then it is possible the external port has an issue.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Portable Camping Stove Design Issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.