Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Interstate highway conditions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Interstate highway conditions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/21 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After traveling from North Idaho to Florida towing our trailer---I have to say the Interstate highway system is horrible! Dwight Eisenhower would be ashamed of the way our states and federal governments have allowed the roads to deteriorate.
Possibly our politicians could pay more attention to the needs of our country then their private addenda's.
O.K. I'm done with my rant. Now I'm heading out to put the cabinet contents back.
See ya out there----

chris3403

Jeffersonville, In

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/21 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree 100% something needs to be done.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The federal infrastructure plan from 2017 to 2021 never materialized. Things will get better soon.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/21 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It really depends on the state government altho they all get money from the Feds for Interstate upkeep and repair. Driving west in March from FL to AZ on I10 you certainly knew when you entered a new state. FL, AL and MS I thought were fairly good to good. LA of course ran from bad to almost drivable. Texas is really variable ranging from OK to bad, the worst was in East Texas. I did not continuously drive the I10 in AZ and NM so won't comment on that area.
Last year I thought I40 in OK was awful. We'll be on I20 in the morning going east from TX. US 287 in TX is in good shape.

I'm fairly certain most politicians are flying over the Interstates not driving on them. In some cases in private planes too.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

. We'll be on I20 in the morning going east from TX. US 287 in TX is in good shape.

If you are going thru Shreveport/Bossier City take I-220 around the north side. Unless they have rebuilt it, I-20 thru Bossier City was the roughest interstate I have ever been on. And that is saying something.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 08:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We build beautiful roads and bridges in other countries, just not our own.
In our 50 States road contracts go out to the lowest bidder who has to use the cheapest asphalt, the quickest methods and the lowest paid workers to get the contract. Roads fall apart as soon as they are built.
In Europe they use high-grade asphalt with rubber bits to keep the pavement from cracking and falling apart, they do not hire the cheapest bidder. Their roads look like Main Street Disneyland.
Ours are terrible. Our pavement ends at the white line, pavement needs to extend wider than the road as water damage occurs because there lacks margins. Many many problems

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 09:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

We build beautiful roads and bridges in other countries, just not our own.
In our 50 States road contracts go out to the lowest bidder who has to use the cheapest asphalt, the quickest methods and the lowest paid workers to get the contract. Roads fall apart as soon as they are built.
In Europe they use high-grade asphalt with rubber bits to keep the pavement from cracking and falling apart, they do not hire the cheapest bidder. Their roads look like Main Street Disneyland.
Ours are terrible. Our pavement ends at the white line, pavement needs to extend wider than the road as water damage occurs because there lacks margins. Many many problems

You’re right that our infrastructure is in poor shape. And that the industry is ultra competitive. If you don’t live in one of those worlds you’re very blessed and likely pretty naive how the world works.
And you’re right , there is not enough spending to keep up with the problem.
But that’s about it and you’re woefully uninformed or .......If you don’t understand the bad stuff is largely well over 50 years old and some approaching 100.
I’m surprised your knowledge as an esteemed civil engineer and road builder didn’t pickup on that ....

* This post was edited 05/20/21 09:53pm by Grit dog *

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 10:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The real problem is that the money from fuel tax, tolls, vehicle licensing etc, all of it doesn’t go to road repairs. A good amount of it goes to other places it was never meant to go. So our roads and highways suffer because of misappropriation.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/21 10:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

The federal infrastructure plan from 2017 to 2021 never materialized. Things will get better soon.

LOL

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 11:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

x2

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Interstate highway conditions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.