Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: SOLVED: ATS-5070 Transfer Switch - Shore Power Only
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> SOLVED: ATS-5070 Transfer Switch - Shore Power Only

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
KendallP

Probably the office

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Usually on here they say to jumper/by-pass the ATS to see if that is where the fault is. You only need to do that with the generator side.

If that works, then you could do PT's idea and have manual switching between shore and gen. If you get an inverter you will need to do that manually. With a portable gen you do it manually between the three 120v sources. You don't need no steenkin ATS.

Yeah, but I'm fresh out of badges, though.

Yeah, the old Winnebago was manual like that. And since some are shy about starting the genny when plugged into shore, the labor is about the same, i.e. virtually none.

The heat pump runs off a 30A circuit when necessary, so the only situation I can see it being a bit of a pain is when it's parked at the house receiving 15 or 20A for battery maintenance and one wishes to cool the rig off while loading or unloading on a hot, sunny day. But again... about 45 seconds of "effort."

There IS a Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter in there. So what else do you need to do manually with this in mind?

Cheers,
Kendall

1986 Winnebago Chieftain 22RC
Our Camper (Don't laugh...
Unlike our credit cards... she's paid for)

KendallP

Probably the office

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navigator2346 wrote:

Give the transfer switch a little love tap on the side with a hammer or something substantial.

Will try that. Thanks.

Should I do that with or without power supplied to it? Or both?

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/21 11:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do it with shore UNPLUGGED
Generator RUNNING
you want the Transfer Switch .. To pull in from Generator power like it is supposed to do

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

KendallP

Probably the office

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Solved

I did it like you said, Wiz. And I was able to get it to work intermittently.

But that obviously wasn't good enough, so I cracked 'er open. Not easy, but I was able to get in there and check out the relays. First thing I noticed is how clean the points were. No signs of arcing at all. Makes me wonder if my grandfather-in-law either unplugged from shore first before ever starting the generator... or at least was good enough not to have any major loads running before starting. He was pretty sharp, so both of the above could be possible.

But what I DID find was something funky with the cantilever action of the generator input relay. The house relay worked as one would expect, but the other one acted like something was broken at the fulcrum or something. But it was very difficult to see what was going on in there.

I messed around with it a bit and it suddenly started rocking properly. I messed with it some more and got it to foul up again.

After maybe a half dozen of these back and forths, I was no longer able to get it to foul up.

I sure wish I could have seen better and figured out exactly what was wrong, but... it's working as it should now and... I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.

But at least I know where the problem lies. If I run into trouble while out on the open road again, I'll break out the tools and crack 'er open again.

But I'm so happy I was able to get this far. Replacement... or even landfilling it and wiring up an old-school, manual outlet... were much more labor intensive options. I still work 60 hours a week and the stealership would probably want an arm and two legs for any of those options.

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: Additionally...

Parallax got back to me on the question of whether or not the ATS501 is a direct replacement for the 5070 vs the ATS503.

"Hello Kendall,

The easiest swap by far would be the ATS501.

The ATS503 needs wire slack to be able to be connected and the chassis on the ATS503 is larger.

You will need to go with the ATS501.

Have a wonderful day Kendall,

Bruce Jones

Warranty Dept
Parallax Power Supply"

* This post was edited 05/27/21 05:32pm by KendallP *

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 10:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the feedback
We like to learn results and remedies to these problems

KendallP

Probably the office

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 11:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

Thanks for the feedback
We like to learn results and remedies to these problems

Least I can do

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/21 01:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like to clean my relays then saturate a Q Tip with spray silicone lube.
I dab the lubricant onto hinge points and work the mechanism several times. 30 amp DPDT relays are hard to find down here and when one is found the price weakens my knees.

Also on critical stuff I'll wipe DeOxit D100 across contact points.

Special attention goes into making the relay enclosure moisture-tight.

KendallP

Probably the office

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/21 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

I like to clean my relays then saturate a Q Tip with spray silicone lube.
I dab the lubricant onto hinge points and work the mechanism several times. 30 amp DPDT relays are hard to find down here and when one is found the price weakens my knees.

Also on critical stuff I'll wipe DeOxit D100 across contact points.

Special attention goes into making the relay enclosure moisture-tight.

I don't imagine you could afford your knees any weaker, gramps.

[emoticon]

Thanks for the "tips." When MEX talks tech, the wise listen.

Yeah, I wish I could get a better view of those hinge points without marking and de-lugging about 2 dozen heavy wires in order to remove those relays for study. And really... it doesn't act at all like a lube issue. It's like it unseats from the fulcrum, but again... I couldn't see where that fulcrum was.

I suppose if it happens again... I'll be forced to remove the relays and assess. In which case, I will surely employ your maintenance methods.

Thanks, old man.

P.S. I sold my old rig. The buyer seemed impressed when I bragged on your hot-rodded alternator design with the Ford fan. Thanks again for that too.

[emoticon]

KendallP

Probably the office

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Parallax got back to me on the question of whether or not the ATS501 is a direct replacement for the 5070 vs the ATS503. Since post #14 was labeled "Solved," I went ahead and added this there too...

"Hello Kendall,

The easiest swap by far would be the ATS501.

The ATS503 needs wire slack to be able to be connected and the chassis on the ATS503 is larger.

You will need to go with the ATS501.

Have a wonderful day Kendall,

Bruce Jones

Warranty Dept
Parallax Power Supply"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> SOLVED: ATS-5070 Transfer Switch - Shore Power Only
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.