cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharp Microwave Oven Door

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Knight - original owners with original microwave. Finally had problems with the Sharp convection microwave this morning. The push button to open the door no longer works. Luckily I was preheating it so there is no food stuck inside. Anyone have any insight into how to get the door open? Do we need to take the microwave down to get at the broken spring or latch? Thank you for any assistance you can offer.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
15 REPLIES 15

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Problem is Solved - Did not have take microwave down to install part. Less than $10 for this part - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZS3XMN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Dave & Kathy
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Common issue with any microwave, I know when this happens to our Sharp Convection microwave it will be fixed rather than thrown out. As seen above part to remedy this is cheap, I always buy two so there is no delay, having kids this plastic part breaks often.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
this part - Thank you for all the replies, we were able to access the broken part without removing the microwave. We had to remove 3 screws across the bottom and two screws in the front vent. Then we were able to pull the control panel up about a quarter inch and access the part. We have one on order. When we saw the part, it was obvious that the left "ear" was broken.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
The cost of new unit maybe less than repair - make a phone call to repair shop to determine.

Convection/Microwave ovens are quite expensive ($600+) so a repair by comparison would be quite inexpensive. I have worked on a Sharp in the past and it does require it be removed. I could not figure out the problem but a local repair shop fixed it for about $50.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
My DH repaired my Sharp Carousel Micro/Convection twice. First time the turntable motor needed replacing and the second, he replaced the door latch which broke. He never removed the appliance. He googled the repairs on YouTube and accomplished both with minimal effort. So before you go to the trouble of removing the microwave, google youtube and see how to fix it.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
grldst wrote:
Easy fix and a heck of a lot cheaper then buying a new one. I replaced mine some yrs back, don't remember the exact procedure, but I do remember I did NOT have to remove the microwave, and it was not difficult.

My foggy mind seems to recall that you remove the facial plate around the door and you will get access to the bolts/screws to remove the door.

You should be able to google for parts, and you tube may even have a video on the repair.

ON EDIT: My memory has recollected that when the facial is removed you will see the door latch workings. The door does not have to be removed. Its a cheap plastic latch that breaks. I tried glueing it and it didn't last long, so I just replaced it. Like I stated earlier, the parts are cheap, the fix easy.

thanks. on the move for a couple days. Will try to get into it once we get settled.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
Easy fix and a heck of a lot cheaper then buying a new one. I replaced mine some yrs back, don't remember the exact procedure, but I do remember I did NOT have to remove the microwave, and it was not difficult.

My foggy mind seems to recall that you remove the facial plate around the door and you will get access to the bolts/screws to remove the door.

You should be able to google for parts, and you tube may even have a video on the repair.

ON EDIT: My memory has recollected that when the facial is removed you will see the door latch workings. The door does not have to be removed. Its a cheap plastic latch that breaks. I tried glueing it and it didn't last long, so I just replaced it. Like I stated earlier, the parts are cheap, the fix easy.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
The cost of new unit maybe less than repair - make a phone call to repair shop to determine.
Kevin

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
>> preheating it so there is no food stuck inside

You were running it empty?
It is a convection microwave, I had it running on the preheat setting.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
PartsWarehouse.com

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
first see if you can find a part. You have gotten your money worth out of it. To get to the latch you will have to remove the control panel and you will see your issue.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
>> preheating it so there is no food stuck inside

You were running it empty?

It's a convection oven so it can be preheated.

I took mine down to repair a problem...you need two people to remove it as it is very heavy and bulky.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Microwaves are cheap now. best to just replace it with newer and more efficient unit.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Probably you'd need to take it down, if you can't see anything else obvious.

Be aware of the electrical hazards of mucking about in microwave ovens. Even with the unit unplugged, there's the potential for a lethal charge to be stored in the capacitor for a long time. Usually they have a bleeder resistor to discharge the capacitor when it's not in use, but if it failed the oven generally would still work fine and you'd be none the wiser. Microwave ovens are said to be about the most electrically dangerous common home appliance to work on...which is not to say it cannot be done safely by ordinary people, just that one needs to take care and be wise.