Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Finally some good news on the puppy front!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Finally some good news on the puppy front!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will have a Gordon setter puppy by the end of July. Litter was born 2 days ago. We have 2nd pick on a male-sire owner has first pick. Our pick will be based more on personality than looks so being #2 is fine. Toying with the idea of getting two if another is available to take the stress off of poor old Jake (who is actually doing very well). Not sure if that's crazy or smart!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking forward to pictures!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TWO????

You must be very very active LOL

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

TWO????

You must be very very active LOL

What he said.
One of the regulars at our dog park has a Gordon, it out runs and out distances every other dog at the park. Lots of energy.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 11:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats! Can't wait for photos.

For me, I prefer not to do two dogs the same age. It just means everything is doubled in a short time. I like having 2-4 years between them. That way one has been potty trained and obedience trained before trying to start on the next one.

I think they better establish a pecking order that way. Even though Tornado-dog is very self-assured and a bit pushy, he doesn't question Cat-dog's seniority.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/21 05:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

For me, I prefer not to do two dogs the same age. It just means everything is doubled in a short time. I like having 2-4 years between them. That way one has been potty trained and obedience trained before trying to start on the next one.

Ditto. Even though I'm currently in this exact situation due to DH's "foster fail" resulting in an early pandemic adoption, in general I've always tried to avoid having two senior dogs at the same time. They get expensive, even just for maintenance. And most importantly, I don't want to lose two dogs very close together. Having them spaced is no guarantee for avoiding that, of course, but having two the same age is certainly much more risky. Plus I know my limits. I don't have what it takes to raise two puppies right at the same time. There are very good reasons most trainers recommend against it, and why most wouldn't ever do it themselves.

Like the others, I'll be looking forward to pictures. I don't believe I've ever seen a Gordon in real life.

Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/21 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toadtoes/Pawz4me, both of you have given the reasons why we are questioning the sanity of two. Our two springers were 4 months apart and they were awesome together. No issue establishing pecking order-Jesse was top dog and Jake knew it, but Jake's making up for lost time very well. I definitely agree with the issue of potentially losing two dogs near each other but it's the first I've heard of trainers recommending against it. My SIL breeds/trains labs and she things two are not an issue. Will definitely think about it a LOT LOL!

Gordons will run until they drop. Tons of energy but my springers also were like that. And believe it or not my bloodhound. Not as much as the Gordons or springers but more than most people think. Hubby and I are both 60 and we want to wear out rather than rust out so yes, we are active. Or nuts. Or both!

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/21 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bloodhounds are far more active than most people think. The "hound" in their name should be a clue, but I think folks think of Beauregard the Wonder Dog of Hee Haw and think bloodhouds just lay around all day.

I think the main thing with raising two puppies at the same time is having a household where you can split the duties. If one puppy pees, the other one is likely about to do the same, so you need one person to deal with each puppy. Likewise, trying to consistently train each one is better done if you aren't trying to focus on both all the time.

As a single person, I don't have that household, so I would be doing it all by myself - scary.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/21 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm another one that would be hesitant to do two pups at once (although BCsnob obviously does it). My experience is that the older dogs help train a pup to do the "good things" by example. But two pups can feed off each other's antics - like "let's not go to mom when she calls" or "let's dig a hole in the couch". Also can entail double the work, since I take my young dogs out by themselves for practice at heeling/stay, etc I'm not sure how you can train for obedience with two together (especially high-energy, easily-distractible breeds)?

Lastly, we aren't getting any stronger: I had a situation where I was walking my dogs (leashed) and an older lady walked by with an active little terrier - and she started talking to MY dogs in a squeaky baby-talk, and young Augie just lost his mind. Now most people would have seen that they just amped-up a high-energy dog, and back off - but no, she just kept at it until Augie (only 45 lbs, but strong as a bull) yanked his leash out of my arthritic hand - I literally couldn't hold on to him. Fortunately, he's a crazy-friendly dog so just greeted her dog, then jumped about 5' in the air to give her a kiss on the cheek (boy was SHE surprised) and then came back to me.

I can't imagine having that happen with TWO young dogs. Also taught me that I need to work on a bulletproof sit/stay with Augie; and also bought some hand-strengthening exercisers.... it sucks getting old....

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/21 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a Black & Tan hound dog and she was no slouch

Dalmatian/Lab taught her how to climb the 5' chain-link fence....run the desert then when they heard my truck turn off main road they would race back home and be sitting inside the gate when I drove up
*From paved road to house was 1 mile of dirt----neighbor told on them otherwise I would have never know

Snuck back home once and watched them 'escape'
The fence was nothing for the Dal/Lab....but watching that 100# hound climb tippy-toe up fence then fall over the top was a hoot!

Sneaky!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Finally some good news on the puppy front!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.