cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insect prevention in black tank

Fstmvrerik
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are currently living in my Keystone Outback in central Florida awaiting our house to be completed. We are living in it full time. I travel for work, so when I am gone I leave the front (shower) and rear kitchen) grey water tanks valves open. the black water tank is closed, as she will not even hit 2/3 of a tank in the week. I dump and flush them on the weekend I am at home. We use orange black tank enzyme packs.
My wife is advising there are gnats that live in the black tank, and sometimes fly out of the tube going to the black tank when she flushes the toilet. She does hold the pedal down for a bit to ensure enough water to keep the poop pyramid problem from happening.
I have not seen the bugs yet, but am wondering if she could add some sort of insecticide to kill any insect life in the black tank: but not turn the tank into a bomb or damage it.
The upper ball seal in our Domatec 310 is leaking a little and the bowl will dry out over night. I plan on replacing the seal this weekend.
I do have a "dip" in my dump hose that holds water to make a P trap for the shower grey tank and kitchen to keep sewer gas at bay from the park sewer line.
Has anybody addressed this issue? Thanks for any assistance.
14 REPLIES 14

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
kellem wrote:
Let the black tank fill completely so the flies drown ?
Been camping for over 35 years and not heard of this phenomenon but certainly don't deny the claim.

Perhaps it's a good thing as an ecosystem is underway. Idk

The phenomenon is for real. The flies won't simply drown they will fly up into the vent pipe.
Sewer flies are a rare occurrence, but they do exist and may get into your tank if you leave valves open a come across and infested sewer pipe.
Think about it there are all kinds of critters that live in sewers, if you leave your valves open those critters have direct access to your tanks.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Yup plenty of chemicals including chlorine introduced into the water in the fresh water and sewer treatment plants I’ve built.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer
lane hog wrote:
Sheesh, all these people dumping bleach and chemicals in the tanks... you do realize that all has to go to a water treatment plant eventually, right?

I've never used chemicals. Straight water has always done the trick for us. Never had sewer flies but we never leave valves open, not even the grey.

Unless you're hooked to a septic tank. You do realize that every water treatment plant uses some form of chlorine during the treatment process and that you can't use enough bleach to effect the millions of gallons being processed?
1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71
2021 Coachmen Apex 253RLS

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Let the black tank fill completely so the flies drown ?
Been camping for over 35 years and not heard of this phenomenon but certainly don't deny the claim.

Perhaps it's a good thing as an ecosystem is underway. Idk

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
lane hog wrote:
Sheesh, all these people dumping bleach and chemicals in the tanks... you do realize that all has to go to a water treatment plant eventually, right?

I've never used chemicals. Straight water has always done the trick for us. Never had sewer flies but we never leave valves open, not even the grey.

Sheesh, what makes you think all the water goes into a sewer treatment plant, and if it does, what % do you think is actually from campers?
And what else do you think might be sent to sewer treatment plants?

Or in short, find something else to complain about that is actually an issue.

Oh, and OP leaves the black tank closed....according to him anyways, unless you know different.

And fwiw, we rarely used our truck camper, couple times a year, never left valves open, did get sewer flies on occasion, so, how is that explainable in your opinion?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
lane hog wrote:

So, instead of complaining about people using bleach and chemicals to kill bugs in their black tank do you have any constructive suggestions on how they get rid of them?

ronbiel
Explorer
Explorer
You can use Pool Shock. Just be careful when using it because it can bleach almost anything.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II

• 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I've seen people take their sewer hose that goes from the RV tank dump to the sewer line connection at the RV park and build a "p-trap" in it. THe will keep stuff from coming up the hose, but won't cure the problem of bugs currently living in the tank
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure how much but I would close the drain and pour some bleach down the toilet for overnight.
Maybe a whole gallon but I am crazy like that. Rinse well the next day. Only open the drain every few days as needed.
Good luck

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I have not had this issue on a camper. But yea, there sewer flys. Caused by having an open sewer drain. So, in a normal home, there would be an open drain or no water in a trap for that to happen. I would rethink leaving the drains open or make sure there was a water trap.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Fill the black tank completely...completely...with chemicals, shake it up by driving and drain..twice...three times is better.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Google 'drain flies' for lots of suggestions. In the interim, I would fill the toilet bowl about half full before flushing to limit the time the valve is open.

You may not have to replace that seal. The last time this happened to me, I opted to replace also but could have gotten by with brushing the old, dried out plumber's grease from the original seal, applying new grease and reassembling.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch