Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth wheel Hitch troubleshooting

JediDZL
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
My Patriot 16k hitch is not locking the jaws all the way around the pin. I have to force the handle in to lock it.. I never had this issue before. Any thoughts on what could be causing this ? Thanks
31 REPLIES 31

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Just concerned for your safety. ๐Ÿ˜‰

And I do appreciate your concern , and save travels to you .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just concerned for your safety. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Don't the bolts on the hitch itself need to be checked periodically, as you would any retaining bolt? And also the bolts on the king pin block, don't they need to be checked for tightness? This would come under the heading of maintenance, at lest in my mind.

Here again , no maintenance, no checking tightness on mine . Nothing , there are no bolts to check , the lugs on the adapter are pinned , as well as the hitch . The ones that have the steel Andersen know this . As said you have to have one to know what goes on .

As far as the adapter on the kingpin , never checked it . Again if you had one youโ€™d know why . Iโ€™ve had it off several times , and seen why there is no need , if you had one and wanted to check it thatโ€™s great , I have no problem with that if you think you need too . Some grease their bearings every year , I donโ€™t . As with all things I do look at it periodically for anything obviously wrong with it .

NEVER checking something you hav bolted on that carries so much is IMHO dangerous.

Come now , been around machinery hitches etc my entire adult life . I know how that adapter is bolted ,,and what to check, and I donโ€™t let anything slide , nor the hitch , donโ€™t you fret that Iโ€™m doing something dangerous ๐Ÿ™‚

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"And to tell you the truth, I'll never own an Andersen."

Things are not always as GOLDEN as they may seem.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Don't the bolts on the hitch itself need to be checked periodically, as you would any retaining bolt? And also the bolts on the king pin block, don't they need to be checked for tightness? This would come under the heading of maintenance, at lest in my mind.

Here again , no maintenance, no checking tightness on mine . Nothing , there are no bolts to check , the lugs on the adapter are pinned , as well as the hitch . The ones that have the steel Andersen know this . As said you have to have one to know what goes on .

As far as the adapter on the kingpin , never checked it . Again if you had one youโ€™d know why . Iโ€™ve had it off several times , and seen why there is no need , if you had one and wanted to check it thatโ€™s great , I have no problem with that if you think you need too . Some grease their bearings every year , I donโ€™t . As with all things I do look at it periodically for anything obviously wrong with it .

NEVER checking something you hav bolted on that carries so much is IMHO dangerous.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
Flashman wrote:
TXiceman wrote:
Flashman wrote:
TXiceman wrote:
Look in the owners manual for the hitch. All hitches do require periodic cleaning and maintenance.

Ken

Wrong - not my Andersen.

You mean it never requires any cleaning or checking for tightness and mounting....Good Luck.

Ken

Yep that's what I mean - if you have not owned one you would not understand.

Could not of said it better , many have no understanding of the Andersen ,but continue with opinions of it. I wouldn't tow with anything else after having one now for a few years, and I have towed with as good a conventional hitch as there is ,with no issues that I keep reading about the most popular conventional hitch , the adjustments ,bolt replacements etc . I will stick with the Andersen ,no maintenance, replacing any parts etc etc .

You don't have the bed deflecting/folding Ultimate now do you?

I would not have a problem using YOUR hitch for a lighter RV, say 14k and under.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Flashman wrote:
TXiceman wrote:
Flashman wrote:
TXiceman wrote:
Look in the owners manual for the hitch. All hitches do require periodic cleaning and maintenance.

Ken

Wrong - not my Andersen.

You mean it never requires any cleaning or checking for tightness and mounting....Good Luck.

Ken

Nope but I have had to assist people in the park with the Andersen get then to release and unhook. Wound up putting blocks under the front jacks and lifting the ball and shank out of the hitch....that is a high lift to clear the hitch. The other lifted the whole hitch out of the bed and then literally beat the thing to make it release the ball. In both cases, the release cable was corroded.....due to NO MAINTENANCE.

And to tell you the truth, I'll never own an Andersen.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Flashman wrote:
TXiceman wrote:
Flashman wrote:
TXiceman wrote:

Ken

Wrong - not my Andersen.

Ken

Could not of said it better , many have no understanding of the Andersen ,but continue with opinions of it. I wouldn't tow with anything else after having one now for a few years, and I have towed with as good a conventional hitch as there is ,with no issues that I keep reading about the most popular conventional hitch , the adjustments ,bolt replacements etc . I will stick with the Andersen ,no maintenance, replacing any parts etc etc .

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Flashman wrote:
TXiceman wrote:

Ken

Wrong - not my Andersen.

Ken

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Flashman wrote:
TXiceman wrote:

Ken

Wrong - not my Andersen.

Ken

At a glance is all , no tightness to check . Just to make sure no one has messed with any pins .

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Flashman wrote:
TXiceman wrote:

Ken

Wrong - not my Andersen.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
przao wrote:

On an aside, he uses a portable electric grease gun to generously lube the hitch plate every time he hitches his semis, and told me to do the same because he noticed what he called high pressure wear on my hitch head even though I was using a lube plate.

What a mess!!! This is why I use a lube plate, no way would I use grease, except the pin contact points with the hitch jaws.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"