Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: intermittent brakes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> intermittent brakes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/21 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roger10378 wrote:

Don't try to feed new wire thru the axle. Just run it on the outside and use zip ties to hold it in place.

Piece of cake to go thru the axle, tie the new wires to the old and use the old wires to pull it thru.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/21 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should of said start checking the ground side. Likely at your trailer age, they use the frame for the ground path, often just a self tapping screw. Pull the screw, clean paint/rust from around
and in hole. Clean all corrosion off terminal. (Replace?) Once all is clean and tight, all is working, spray paint the area to slow return.
BTW, if the breaks grounds to axle, don't mess with it, run wire at least to frame.

Mike134 wrote:

azbohunter wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

Replace all the splices, wiring never fails in the middle, always at the connections.

I have checked everything visible and I can't see anything that looks like it would be a problem. I have heard of insulation wearing off inside the axles over time. It might not be my problem but I think that I will pull new wires thru and then I will know.

Replacing the wiring will give you peace of mind that the wires are are good and you'll need to replace all the connections for the new wires so in the end your problem will be fixed.

safe travels.

Just like telling who is tourist, just looking at connections, your eyes can lie to you.
As for insulation wearing off; First, the only way missing insulation will stop electricity from going where you want it is the electricity finds another way back to battery. (Short cut, or short) A short that would carry enough currant to keep brakes would blow fuse/breaker (if somebody was silly enough to use in brake circuit) or burn the wires.
Also, wire inside the tube will not rub enough to cause problems, except where it goes thru the tube.

Now I'm going to poop in some people's oatmeal. First, I need to give some info so you can decide if I'm trumping around, or have a idea what I'm doing.
I have built trailers, bought and rebuilt wrecked trailers. 1, that cutting and welding burned most of wiring out of has been pulled probably 2 million miles over 20 years after I rebuilt it.
And for about 10 years winter time when construction hauling was slow I put my phone number out at scale to do repairs for the guys that had to get there snot fixed and down the road. Trailer light issues made more than a few house payments. Now you can see not much of this is strictly RV, but do the electrons know they are going on vacation instead of to work?
Now a question for the OP, and anybody else that has a electrical problem that is hard to find. You know your tool and skill set. Are you right sure that when you run that new wire, can you route it, protect it and make the connections well enough to say there will be no more problems?
Some of my biggest bills was when somebody has "just run another wire" to solve a problem and didn't do a good job. Most times the old wires are not removed, so more places for trouble. Plus it is hard to run wire, because wires or other things are blocking the safe path of old wires. 99% of the problems are easy to fix, once you find them.
It is my opinion, based on what I have seen, if you lack the ability to find your problem you are not qualified to run new wires.

azbohunter

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/21 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

photo
Don't know if this will work...found this inside of the wiring sleeve going to drivers side rear axle. One of the wires had tape on it so I'm thinking it is from original installation at factory. I have had trailer for 13 years and none of this has been touched and we got it from original owner.

2006 Dodge Quad Cab Cummins 5.9 Automatic 4x4
2002 28RKD Lakota fifth wheel
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger
16'Lund w/50HP Merc tiller
A great wife who loves to travel and fish
I love to archery hunt/she joins me and cooks!

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/21 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azbohunter wrote:

photo
Don't know if this will work...found this inside of the wiring sleeve going to drivers side rear axle. One of the wires had tape on it so I'm thinking it is from original installation at factory. I have had trailer for 13 years and none of this has been touched and we got it from original owner.

Received error message trying to open your photo

azbohunter

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/21 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/fife/A........-rsapZOkfPA=s628-w283-h628-no?authuser=0

see if this works

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/21 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nope

azbohunter

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/21 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

photo
Either I am a lot better at solving wiring problems than posting pictures or they have made this pretty difficult?

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/21 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thats not good , something rubbed the insulation off those. You could shrink wrap them, but ypu need to find what rubbed on them and how to stop it first.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

azbohunter

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/21 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cut the bad spots out,put butt joints in that had heat shrink on them. It's inside the frame, wires were long enough to pull through. Slipped piece of hose over the wires and taped it then pushed it back inside.

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/21 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

looks like they where dragged over a sharp edge all skinned off in about the same spot.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> intermittent brakes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.