Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: intermittent brakes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> intermittent brakes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/21 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out this post by forum member JBarca that has complete directions on wiring your brakes, complete with pictures.

Also embedded early in his post is a link to another thread by former Travel Trailer moderator LAdams on the same subject and also contains a lot of excellent pictures to help explain what is going on.

I think both of these old threads will be a big help to you in re-wiring your brakes - which by the way I think is the best route to go.[emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

azbohunter

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/21 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Barney, thanks for sharing that, I'm sure it will be helpful.
This is where I am currently. After the smoldering wires which thankfully occured right at the breakway I have found that the breakaway is not fused, understandably! The brake ground is on the frame near the real drivers side axel. The power wire and breakaway are fastened together at front and rear axle drivers side. In Order for there to have been a dead short of this magnatude, it has to be one of the blue power wires, correct? I would think so. So, I am going to just run two new power wires and hopefully that should be good.
All my tools are of the best nature, crimp style connectors, connectors for the appropriate size wire with factory shrink, the appropriate stripping tool and the appropriate crimping tool with slots for 3 different size crimps that are color coded to the crimps, red, blue and yellow. If there is an error it shouldn't be in my tools or application.
I'm thinking the wire has to be the problem and it is in a spot I can see. I may cut it and pull it out when I do the new wire...tomorrow, I'm done for today [emoticon]

2006 Dodge Quad Cab Cummins 5.9 Automatic 4x4
2002 28RKD Lakota fifth wheel
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger
16'Lund w/50HP Merc tiller
A great wife who loves to travel and fish
I love to archery hunt/she joins me and cooks!

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/21 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might as well replace the old breakaway switch while you at it. In for a penny in for a pound.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

azbohunter

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/21 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

Might as well replace the old breakaway switch while you at it. In for a penny in for a pound.

FOR SURE

azbohunter

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/21 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So it has been several days and I need to update this. I replaced my breakaway, ran new wire from breakaway thru bottom trailer, through each axle, and to each wheel. Soldered joints and tested in driveway. Pulled breakaway all 4 wheels slid.
Hooked up next morning for a 1200 mile trip and first bump got the "check trailer brakes" warning. I continued on and next bump I had brakes again. I drove the 1200 miles w/brakes 99% of time, sometimes for several hours. Only thing left is pull the wheels off, what besides the obvious like bare or broken wire should I look for?

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/21 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pull the breakaway and check to see if the magnet has power. Use something metal. You did check and clean the grounds I belive. Did you ever check the tv wiring? Just to rule it out? I know the whole thing is a pita.

azbohunter

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/21 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When breakaway was pulled I had no brakes at trailer.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/21 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Then you should look at the wire from the breakaway to the conection for the harness. Your almost there.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/21 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you replace both wires or just one?

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/21 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of you did both it has to be in between the break away and the harness, or where you hooked into the harness. Then check the harness itself. Look at the conections. If you have a multi meter, you can maybe get a reading, that dosent help much when it comes and goes. I would spray the conections with contact cleaner and coat with dielectric grease and see if that helps.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> intermittent brakes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.