cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ultra Creamy Macaroni and Cheese

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Our Army buddies and we meet for lunner (lunch/dinner) every Sunday. This Sunday is our turn, and because the weather's so damp and cool, we're going with the ultimate comfort food, macaroni and cheese. This is the recipe we're using.

4 T. unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
Salt
1 lb. elbow macaroni
5 T. all-purpose flour
3 12-oz cans evaporated milk
2 tsp. hot sauce
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar
1 1/4 cups shredded block American cheese (not sliced)
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 350ยฐ F.

Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and the pasta and cook, stirring often, until almost tender. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water. Drain the pasta and rinse with cold water until cool, then drain well. Set aside.

Melt butter in the pasta pot over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture turns light brown, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the evaporated milk, hot sauce, mustard, nutmeg, and 2 teaspoons salt; cook until slightly thickened, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat, whisk in the cheeses and reserved pasta water until the cheeses melt. Add the pasta; stir to coat.

Transfer the pasta to a 13x9โ€ baking dish and top evenly with the Parmesan. Bake until the casserole is bubbling around the edges and the top is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.

Let rest 10 minutes before serving.

NOTE: Don't use commercially shredded cheese or pre-sliced cheeses. They are too dry for proper melting. Buy cheese blocks and shred 'em yourself.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
7 REPLIES 7

robertpeters
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a delicious recipe, I have to try, thanks for share.

darkmind25
Explorer
Explorer
Dreaming of this. It's been a while since I've cooked it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Surgtech94
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds great

ronbiel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the recipe. Might give it a try since the kids love mac and cheese.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like yall feasted. Nice one!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Yummm. I like that it doesn't have a bread crumb crust! So many recipes do and I didn't grow up that way. Yours sounds very melty and creamy with the salty parmesan.

Piddlers
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds delish! Thank you for sharing.