Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Living in Mexico on a tourist Visa. Legal or Illegal?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Living in Mexico on a tourist Visa. Legal or Illegal?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting.

Living In Mexico On A Tourist Visa

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He sure took a long time to not say much.

It was interesting though.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I posted it because it helps to clarify some misconceptions many people have about Mexico and how rules can easily be circumvented.

Things are changing, more than I would like with the current government, but some of the changes are for the better.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/21 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Chris. That video was very informative.

I'd heard of this "perpetual tourist visa" happening many years ago in Mexico (more than 20 years ago) when I was in Campeche. I asked a friend of mine, who was Minister of Justice for Campeche State about it, but the PRI wasn't interested in pursuing the weakness in the migracion (system) back then.

This same side-stepping of the rules was wide-spread across the Republics down the Isthmus. The tourist visa rules started changing in Republics like Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua, and El Salvador around 2000 / 2001, making it difficult for tourist visa "border hopping" to renew their 90 days back and forth to occur, thereby chasing out a certain cohort of "tourist". I think that Panama was more strict in "those days" about border hopping, if I recall.

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was only time until the technology caught up with all off us, I used to enter by Reynosa and exit by Reynosa, go up to my brothers in San Antonio for a week and re-enter by Nuevo Laredo and exit by Nuevo Laredo, and back by Reynosa and never had a problem and was never questioned, wait until the Mexican Immigration system has access to HSI system of cameras that take a photo of the license plate and driver going out and entering, Canada has access to this system, things will get interesting.

So all of you do not worry, if the old regimes come back in a few years we will be back to the old graft and corruption and business as usual.

No hay nada de que preocuparse unos cuantos refrescos (money) lo arreglan todo

navegator

Wm.Elliot

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 03:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When computers first were introduced in N. Laredo's immigration offices Maine was not listed as a US state on the software they were using. We/they had to use Massachusetts as our home state.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navegator wrote:

So all of you do not worry, if the old regimes come back in a few years we will be back to the old graft and corruption and business as usual.
navegator

X2

If you are referring to the "old" regimes of Lopez Portillo and the like [emoticon]

* This post was edited 05/28/21 08:18am by qtla9111 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Living in Mexico on a tourist Visa. Legal or Illegal?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.