cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cost of RVing

voodoo101
Explorer
Explorer
"Across the country, campground prices generally start at around $20 a night and rarely exceed $75. The average RV spot, with power and water hookups, will run about $30, according to J.D. Power. Any way you slice it, thatโ€™s a significant savings over the typical vacation." From a news article by Camping World.

https://blog.campingworld.com/travel-different/is-rv-camping-the-best-way-to-travel/

Not sure where she is finding those rates starting a $20 and averaging $30.
45 REPLIES 45

dedmiston
I think all the usefulness has been wrung from this thread and now it's getting personal.

Closed.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Now THAT'S just funny!!! How's the sticks and bricks work for you on the road? Good MPG? Comfortable? What do you do when you reach your destination in your sticks & bricks??? :W Talk about comparing apples to oranges!

Sticks and bricks are my residence, not my RV.

My RV is "mobile" and I can take it anywhere I wish to.

I can hop in the RV and go places or I can choose to stay at my sticks and bricks..

My RV is a temporary retreat, we take it places to hike, bike, sight see, not to live in it full time..

Some of us poor working slobs also have no choice but to have a real sticks and bricks because the job required us to physically show up to a physical building each day and finding campgrounds open in the winter in northern areas are not in the cards.

Dreamy eyed folks buy into the idea that owning and fulltiming in a RV is going to save them tons of money over a real stationary sticks and bricks.. It is not, unless you wallydock 365 a yr and even then you have to heat it, you have to feed it fuel to move when you get chased out of your free spot and you have to spend a lot of money on generating electricity.

When someone says they haven't paid more than $38 per night, it sounds inexpensive, until you add it up for a yr which is $13,870 and that is a lot of money just to park a vehicle each night.. Costs me $8.80 per night to live in a house, park 5 vehicles and a camping trailer plus a flat bed trailer..

Because of that, I can afford to spend some money a couple of weeks a yr camping at more expensive campgrounds around fun attractions and resort destinations instead of way out of the way never heard of backwoods camping spots for $38 per night or resorting to camping in county or a city park???..

Spoken like someone who never actually full-timed or tried extended boondocking. It can be as cheap or as expensive as you make it out to be, and of all the people I know, not one of them wallydocks more than a day or two per year and they're asked to leave sites even less often. Most of the people I know work full-time from the road, many of them including myself planning their career paths accordingly to allow them to do so.

Also, you're disingenuously comparing a paid off home to full-timing, which isn't the case for most people. I suspect the majority would be paying rent or a mortgage for a while before that becomes applicable to them.

More importantly, for a lot of people, it's not about the money. There is a difference between full-timing because you want to vs have to.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Now THAT'S just funny!!! How's the sticks and bricks work for you on the road? Good MPG? Comfortable? What do you do when you reach your destination in your sticks & bricks??? :W Talk about comparing apples to oranges!

Sticks and bricks are my residence, not my RV.

My RV is "mobile" and I can take it anywhere I wish to.

I can hop in the RV and go places or I can choose to stay at my sticks and bricks..

My RV is a temporary retreat, we take it places to hike, bike, sight see, not to live in it full time..

Some of us poor working slobs also have no choice but to have a real sticks and bricks because the job required us to physically show up to a physical building each day and finding campgrounds open in the winter in northern areas are not in the cards.

Dreamy eyed folks buy into the idea that owning and fulltiming in a RV is going to save them tons of money over a real stationary sticks and bricks.. It is not, unless you wallydock 365 a yr and even then you have to heat it, you have to feed it fuel to move when you get chased out of your free spot and you have to spend a lot of money on generating electricity.

When someone says they haven't paid more than $38 per night, it sounds inexpensive, until you add it up for a yr which is $13,870 and that is a lot of money just to park a vehicle each night.. Costs me $8.80 per night to live in a house, park 5 vehicles and a camping trailer plus a flat bed trailer..

Because of that, I can afford to spend some money a couple of weeks a yr camping at more expensive campgrounds around fun attractions and resort destinations instead of way out of the way never heard of backwoods camping spots for $38 per night or resorting to camping in county or a city park???..

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Also... what does it matter if the county Gdetrailer lives in doesn't have inexpensive parks? I see little point in taking your RV out, if you're not even going to leave the county -- barring, of course, a few exceptions where counties are geographically massive. Which is certainly not the case up in PA.

And to their greater point - a little planning goes a long way towards finding what you want or an appropriate compromise.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
doxiemom11 wrote:
We have been full-time for 11 years and have never paid over $38.00 for a night of camping with our motorhome. We use Passport America for 50% discounts, have used the Good Sam discount, stay in Corp of Engineer parks, county, city parks and smaller mom & pop campgrounds. We seldom park at a Walmart and have never parked at a truck stop. There are plenty of less expensive places. Of course rates would be higher for a vacation to a special place, but I'm not on vacation. We have full-hookups 99% of the time.

:R

Not "everyone" fulltimes.

Not "everyone" likes to "limit" their camping lives to Corp Engineers, county, city or small mom and pop camps.

Corp Engineer, county and city parks tend to not be available "everywhere" let alone where popular attractions are..

My county has no Corp Engineer parks.

No County parks you can overnight or camp in.

No city parks you can overnight or camp in.

Many city and county parks are not designed for overnighting or camping and gates close at dusk and open at dawn and folks are expected to leave before gates close.

Besides, your fulltiming at $38 per night, that is $13,870 per yr!

I live for free compared to that as I own my home and property and it has been paid off for the last 20 yrs and has gained equity.. My local taxes cost me $800 per yr and gas for heat and electric costs on average $100 each per month.. So, my sticks and bricks costs me an average off about $3,200 per yr or $8.80 per night!

Beat that..

. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

I live for free compared to that as I own my home and property and it has been paid off for the last 20 yrs and has gained equity.. My local taxes cost me $800 per yr and gas for heat and electric costs on average $100 each per month.. So, my sticks and bricks costs me an average off about $3,200 per yr or $8.80 per night!

Beat that..

We boondock 90% of the time and have a Thousand Trails membership for when we're wanting to go to parks or are on the east coast. We'll occasionally go to a park we actually pay for, but that's a rarity.

No property taxes, no heating or electric bills. Thousand Trails membership costs under $700/yr. Even counting the parks we stay at and pay for, and a considerable amount of fuel, we come in under $3,200/yr for accommodations.

Of course, we're not counting insurance and up-front purchase costs, but neither are you.

You couldn't sell me on a sticks and bricks at this point - going back to living that way sounds terrible. Even if your costs are zero, I don't consider that to be freedom.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
doxiemom11 wrote:
We have been full-time for 11 years and have never paid over $38.00 for a night of camping with our motorhome. We use Passport America for 50% discounts, have used the Good Sam discount, stay in Corp of Engineer parks, county, city parks and smaller mom & pop campgrounds. We seldom park at a Walmart and have never parked at a truck stop. There are plenty of less expensive places. Of course rates would be higher for a vacation to a special place, but I'm not on vacation. We have full-hookups 99% of the time.

:R

Not "everyone" fulltimes.

Not "everyone" likes to "limit" their camping lives to Corp Engineers, county, city or small mom and pop camps.

Corp Engineer, county and city parks tend to not be available "everywhere" let alone where popular attractions are..

My county has no Corp Engineer parks.

No County parks you can overnight or camp in.

No city parks you can overnight or camp in.

Many city and county parks are not designed for overnighting or camping and gates close at dusk and open at dawn and folks are expected to leave before gates close.

Besides, your fulltiming at $38 per night, that is $13,870 per yr!

Beat that..

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I think people are wishful thinking if they think CG's will be less crowded than they are now in the future. They were crowded before the Pandemic. Even if many of the newb Covid campers drop out, there's still the regular influx of people that really want to go RV'ing. And not all newb Covid campers are going to drop out. As long as new CG development stays dormant things will never get better.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Cloud Dancer wrote:
Just another expensive pleasure. I'm just glad I didn't borrow money to pay for it. I'm still willing to pay some more cash for it.

Correct!

I consider camping in a RV to be a "hobby" and as such with all hobbies, it costs you money to participate.

But, I keep my costs to a minimum by not buying a new expensive RVs, old used RVs have saved me tens of thousands of dollars even when taking repairs into account.

If you are buying a new expensive RV and thinking you are going to save money camping, you will be disappointed in the end.
Hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later for all the newbies that are clogging our campgrounds. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cloud Dancer wrote:
Just another expensive pleasure. I'm just glad I didn't borrow money to pay for it. I'm still willing to pay some more cash for it.

Correct!

I consider camping in a RV to be a "hobby" and as such with all hobbies, it costs you money to participate.

But, I keep my costs to a minimum by not buying a new expensive RVs, old used RVs have saved me tens of thousands of dollars even when taking repairs into account.

If you are buying a new expensive RV and thinking you are going to save money camping, you will be disappointed in the end.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
Our summer season campground was sold to new owners this past winter and the rates immediately went up 25%.

Looking at the total cost of camping, my wife and I figured that we would save about $500/month if we gave up camping in the RV.

Agreed, but compared to the conventional methods of vacationing/travel, camping is much, much cheaper. It's not just CG's going up in price, hotel prices are insane. Small town where I grew up used to cost $80 for a nice hotel. Now it's $180/night. That was in the span of 3 years.

Way2roll, I see you are in Wilmington NC, try MB in SC and you will find you have a bargain for Hotels and campgrounds.

25 yrs ago we paid $180 per night for Ocean front Hotel rooms at MB, I am sure that is much more than $180 per night now..

15 yrs ago we started camping at MB, $40 per night..

Today, that same campground is now $103 per night..

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are so many variables. The fact is, most of us are not doing hundreds of miles a day, let alone 500 mile marathons. Most of us are not eating in restaurants 3-4 times a week. Many of us do not need FHU sites in CGs with 'resort' tacked on to the name to boot up the price. Most of us are not rolling around in a RV that costs as much as a house.

Keeping it simple makes long trips at a reasonable cost possible.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995