cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing Nose High

4x4FF
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Pilgrim 39' 5th wheel (So there is no manufacturer to refer to nor any warranty to worry about) that comes in at 14.5K GVWR. I normally leave this camper at my site which is about 250 miles from home. I bring it home once every couple of years if there is work I need to do to it or accessories to add. I do want to add that I am pretty anal about my maintenance on it.

I just purchased a new to me 2018 F350 as a tow vehicle for this and my cargo trailer. I also installed a new goosebox on the 5er to use the integrated gooseball on the truck. I have pulled it around a bit locally and it pulls great. The problem is the rear end of the truck sits so high that the 5th wheel does tow nose high and there is nothing I can adjust to change that. If I change the position on the goosebox I lose clearance to my bed rails. I can't flip the axles on the 5er and it does have an equiflex on it. I am not really wanting to remove the blocks on the trucks rear springs of the truck for one short trip if I can avoid it. Also I do have some newer Sailun tires on 5er.

My question really is, how bad is this going to be for my upcomming 250 mile trip? I know it puts more strain on the rear tires but just not sure how bad? What can I do to help the problem or should I just go for it and make frequent stops?
'07 39' Pilgrim Open Road 5th Wheel
'18 F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
16 REPLIES 16

j2catfish
Explorer
Explorer
Some manufactures literature state that towing "slightly nose high" is not a problem. Nowhere have I found what "slightly" means.
Semper Fi.,
Catfish
K3500; Teton Homes 5er;
Native Texan - Transplanted Tar Heel
Retired USMC Mustang (LDO)
Semper Fi !

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Even with the spring/equalizer suspension, towing nose high can still overload the rear axle. Nose low can overload the front axle. It is best to get the trailer as level as possible and still maintain the required 6" clearance with the bed of the truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
i swapped out the 3.5" spacers on the rear of my F350 to the 2016 F250 2" spacers and it leveled out my truck and lowered it approx 2" in the rear, this really helped me level out my trailer. All factory parts FYI.

between the 2" drop on the rear of the truck, the spring perch adjustments on the trailer and going from 225/75R15 to 215/85R16 tires and wheels i was able to level it out properly. My biggest issue was that it is a 1500 half ton towable model so the front section is a bit lower. Been towing with this setup for 40000km's without issue.

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same problem with my truck and fiver. Our local shop tells me that a great deal of the new/newer trucks have the same problem and unless the trailer is so high that it compresses the springs on the back axle, it should be fine. Mine is about 4 inches high on the front compared to the rear and we have checked the axles for higher temps along with the tires and they are the same. On a trip across county in our car a while back you would be very surprised with the amount of nose high 5th wheels that we have seen. I am not saying that it is right but, it almost seems to be the norm with newer trucks.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

4x4FF
Explorer
Explorer
Well I was an idiot for not measuring when I had it out. I store my 5er in my side/back yard and if I pull it out now it will rut my yard real bad until it dries out. Here is a picture I took the other day when I had it out and took it to Blue Beacon to get washed. Not the best but you may be able to get the idea.

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
At one time torsion axle mfg recommended towing level . Maybe they still do.
Towing nose high can have the last axle on the trailer carrying more weight regardless of suspension type. How much can only be determined by individual axle weights.
A 14.5 gvwr trailer can have over 3000 lbs of hitch weight leaving approx 12k lbs on a tandem axle trailer or around 3000 lbs per tire at the most.

Towing nose high can lead to tire flat spotting on the front axle caused by uneven braking performance between the axles....especially on wet pavement.

For just 250 mile trip and load G 110 psi rated tires pump those on the rear axle to 100+ psi to keep heat down and make that trip.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unless the trailer has torsion bar axles...no equalizer arm between the axles, very little differences in axle weights.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
With a 14.5k fiver with 22% pin weight you will be averaging 5,655# per axle. With good axle equalization, the differential between front and rear axle weight will be less than you might think. If you have 7k axles and 4,000#+ capacity Sailuns, I would say go for it. You mentioned it tows great which takes care of other concerns.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Issues with nose high towing:
*Chucking due to pin weight getting lightened
*Sway due to light pin weight
*higher weight transferred to trailer rear axle/tires...even with equa-flex

2007 vintage.....I would be checking the springs.
Still have a good arch or are they flattening
I would address the springs vs nose high condition unless one of the above items is occurring
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

4x4FF
Explorer
Explorer
ramyankee wrote:
So is truck lifted?

No. The front is leveled out but not the rear.

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
So is truck lifted?
Rick and Patti 🙂
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES 🙂
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Fords have a spacer on some rigs on rear springs that can be removed.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
250miles, once in a while? Would not be concerned at all unless the nose is so high the back end is dragging 🙂
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK