Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Towing Nose High
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Towing Nose High

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/21 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At one time torsion axle mfg recommended towing level . Maybe they still do.
Towing nose high can have the last axle on the trailer carrying more weight regardless of suspension type. How much can only be determined by individual axle weights.
A 14.5 gvwr trailer can have over 3000 lbs of hitch weight leaving approx 12k lbs on a tandem axle trailer or around 3000 lbs per tire at the most.

Towing nose high can lead to tire flat spotting on the front axle caused by uneven braking performance between the axles....especially on wet pavement.

For just 250 mile trip and load G 110 psi rated tires pump those on the rear axle to 100+ psi to keep heat down and make that trip.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

4x4FF

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/21 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I was an idiot for not measuring when I had it out. I store my 5er in my side/back yard and if I pull it out now it will rut my yard real bad until it dries out. Here is a picture I took the other day when I had it out and took it to Blue Beacon to get washed. Not the best but you may be able to get the idea.

[image]

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

* This post was edited 05/27/21 06:49pm by an administrator/moderator *

'07 39' Pilgrim Open Road 5th Wheel
'18 F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/21 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does not look bad from this angle.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Curly2001

Tucson, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/21 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same problem with my truck and fiver. Our local shop tells me that a great deal of the new/newer trucks have the same problem and unless the trailer is so high that it compresses the springs on the back axle, it should be fine. Mine is about 4 inches high on the front compared to the rear and we have checked the axles for higher temps along with the tires and they are the same. On a trip across county in our car a while back you would be very surprised with the amount of nose high 5th wheels that we have seen. I am not saying that it is right but, it almost seems to be the norm with newer trucks.
Curly

2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

alexleblanc

Shediac N.B

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i swapped out the 3.5" spacers on the rear of my F350 to the 2016 F250 2" spacers and it leveled out my truck and lowered it approx 2" in the rear, this really helped me level out my trailer. All factory parts FYI.

between the 2" drop on the rear of the truck, the spring perch adjustments on the trailer and going from 225/75R15 to 215/85R16 tires and wheels i was able to level it out properly. My biggest issue was that it is a 1500 half ton towable model so the front section is a bit lower. Been towing with this setup for 40000km's without issue.

[image]
Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

* This post was edited 05/27/21 06:55pm by an administrator/moderator *

TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even with the spring/equalizer suspension, towing nose high can still overload the rear axle. Nose low can overload the front axle. It is best to get the trailer as level as possible and still maintain the required 6" clearance with the bed of the truck.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

j2catfish

Newport, NC, U.S.of.A.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some manufactures literature state that towing "slightly nose high" is not a problem. Nowhere have I found what "slightly" means.
Semper Fi.,
Catfish

K3500; Teton Homes 5er;
Native Texan - Transplanted Tar Heel
Retired USMC Mustang (LDO)
Semper Fi !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Towing Nose High
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.