Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: What happened?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What happened?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/21 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Batteries have a few failure modes
Shorted cell
Open cell
High resistance (sulfation causes this)
Boil dry

Now if you have one battery (Two six volt in series = one big 12 volt) unless you have a really really big charger/converter failed is failed for the most part.

But if you have series/parallel (example)

-6V+-^6+=12 volt
-6V+-^6+=12 volt

Or 12 volts in parallel
If one fails Shorted. especially if it's 2 cells. the other can push enough current that BOOM (or to be more precise POP)

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/21 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lead acid batteries, including AGM, can explode if that are short circuited or run very low on water.

Rare, but it does happen.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/21 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

What converter do you have?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/21 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my pickup camper I have two 12 volt batteries in parallel. The camper was not plugged in so the converter/charger was not powered. I do keep a maintainer connected to the batteries. One of the batteries exploded. The other one was okay. Fluid level in the one that survived was low but still covered the plates.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/21 05:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone, please note the OP is driving a DIESEL PUSHER!! It would be safe to assume he has a three stage charger/inverter which would seem to preclude a high voltage "converter"

Looking more like a defective battery and the manufacturer is running away from it.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/21 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

Everyone, please note the OP is driving a DIESEL PUSHER!! It would be safe to assume he has a three stage charger/inverter which would seem to preclude a high voltage "converter"

Looking more like a defective battery and the manufacturer is running away from it.

I dont think thats safe to asume at all, My parents bought a 200K dp and it had a crappy two stage in it, my buddy just bought one and he has to change it out, so I have seen more with two stage than I have with three stange, not that I have seen a lot but the ones I have seen were all bigger brands.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

YC 1

Yuba City Calif./ Auburndale Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/21 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen far to many battery explosions. One right under my sit down. Yep, on a golf cart.

I am an electronic tech and diagnoses battery issues thousands of times. Always wear some sort of eye protection around a battery. One spark or even one that goes bezerk internally. Usually an old one or one that has been overcharged. A battery temperature sensor can turn a charger into a boiler.

Folks are mentioning low water levels and that can be a clue. For now if those batteries have any age on them it would be a good thing to get rid of them. You need to pull out all the batteries (after lots of pictures of course), and clean everything with warm water and lots of baking soda to get rid of the acid that will eat everything in sight and beyond.

H/R Endeavor 2008
2013 Ford Edge toad
Full Timers

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/21 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have pulled the batteries and flushed everything in the compartment as best I could. I also covered everything with a baking soda paste and flushed it a second time. I will paint it all today if its dry enough. This is a Monaco and has a 3 stage inverter/charger. It is always powered up if that matters. Someone mentioned golf carts and my friend had a battery in his explode in the garage. The top of the battery went through the roof of the cart and the sheet rock ceiling of the garage.....I'll let you all know as I progress here as I had planned a trip for next week

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/21 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got paid by a lot of people to do boat work for a lot of years.

One of the reasons I advise against paralleled jars is the common occurrence of battery explosions. I have seen (and cleaned up after) battery explosions from all possible arrangements and yes even single jars. The fact is, paralleled jars make it more common. At least, I got paid much more often to clean up and make repairs after explosions of paralleled banks.

About all you can do if your load requires that big a bank is to separate the sections by gunga moma fuses that will let go when one cell in one jar goes short and then the rest of the bank can't gang up on him.

I used to keep disposable rain gear and gloves and such in the coach along with several boxes of baking soda for just such events. Insurance companies made my time worthwhile.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/21 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

About all you can do if your load requires that big a bank is to separate the sections by gunga moma fuses that will let go when one cell in one jar goes short and then the rest of the bank can't gang up on him.
Or go series, or go lithium. Can't say I've heard of AGMs exploding.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What happened?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.