Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: What happened?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What happened?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/21 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman,

AGM do go into thermal runaway given the right circumstances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCpozYOAj64

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/21 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

2oldman,AGM do go into thermal runaway given the right circumstances.
I bet they don't spray acid all over. Got any percentages compared to wets?

YC 1

Yuba City Calif./ Auburndale Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/21 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I have pulled the batteries and flushed everything in the compartment as best I could. I also covered everything with a baking soda paste and flushed it a second time. I will paint it all today if its dry enough. This is a Monaco and has a 3 stage inverter/charger. It is always powered up if that matters. Someone mentioned golf carts and my friend had a battery in his explode in the garage. The top of the battery went through the roof of the cart and the sheet rock ceiling of the garage.....I'll let you all know as I progress here as I had planned a trip for next week

Sometimes the temp sensor on the inverter/converter acts up and will cause the batteries to overcharge/boil and be very susceptible to exploding.

H/R Endeavor 2008
2013 Ford Edge toad
Full Timers

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi 2oldman,

I think it is pretty rare for a battery to rud, even with flooded. AGM would be, I guess, even less likely to do so--after all they do have a pressure relief valve.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use of a low amperage charger intrinsically protects against high voltage latching leading to high amperage. A Battery Minder rather than a high amperage potential inverter would be a example.

You folks are not familiar with AGM Batteries. The RECOMBINANT valves return 100% of gas to liquid even at 145°F. It takes 17 to 18 volts potential to gas gelled electrolyte enough to activate a relief valve. Thermal runaway only occurs with abusively high amperage. Thus the reason for my recommendation of an Intrinsictly protective low amperage maintenance device. Make it idiot proof.

Solar panels can be shaded to limit ultimate maximum current to 5 amperes current for long term storage.

100 CCs of space can allow an oxygen hydrogen stoichometeric the explosive force of a 12 gauge shotgun shell.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Mex,

Thanks for the informative post!

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I got it all back together and its been sitting for a few days powered up and all is going well. Still have no clue what caused it but at this stage in life I'll just let it go and carry on. Didn't get to take this trip but its not that bad. Thank a veteran.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What happened?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.