cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hwy 115 north from 50 in Colorado

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to be heading to Cheyenne State park in Colorado Springs, Co. from Hwy 50. My GPS has us taking the 115 north to the park. How is that hwy?
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)
10 REPLIES 10

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to go in the town to grab food etc after visiting the state park, don't take 115 all the way into Colorado Springs. Instead, go north on 115 for a mile then east on Academy, then north on I-25. This way you avoid the mess of traffic on 115 as it approaches I-25 and becomes Nevada Ave.
2017 Starcraft AR-ONE MAXX 20BHLE
2012 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
115 is a fine road.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
Best way to come up to Cheyenne Mountain SP. I have done so several time and will be doing so in July, 2021. You will not encounter the Colorado Springs traffic as you will enter the state park well south of that. Also, you do not go "through" Fort Carson, but "by" it, and the main gate will be directly across from your entry into the state park.

Cheyenne Mountain is one of our favorite parks in the entire country; hope you will enjoy it. You are fortunate to have reservations.

Note: the closure of US 50 is between Montrose and Gunnison. We are having to revise our route from Silverton to Cheyenne Mountain because of that closure. We will come back around to Durango rather than going on up to Ouray and Montrose.

EDIT TO ADD: That link given by agesilaus above confirms what I have said about traffic on week-ends and also has an excellent chart of all the traffic/closure times.

I read some time ago that traffic may be permitted on week-ends. That wouldn't work for us, but you may want to check that out. Also that there were certain hours each day that would allow traffic. Check it out if your intended route is from Montrose to Gunnison.

thanks for the heads up about closure o 50 but came through there already. We planned it for the weekend. We are staying at Big Horn RV on 50 until we can go into Cheyenne State Park. Nice little park!
Linda B.
Our Blog
FMCA# F412985

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
yes 115 is good to go and as 4runner said rush hour you might have to sit a cycle or two at some stop lights.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Best way to come up to Cheyenne Mountain SP. I have done so several time and will be doing so in July, 2021. You will not encounter the Colorado Springs traffic as you will enter the state park well south of that. Also, you do not go "through" Fort Carson, but "by" it, and the main gate will be directly across from your entry into the state park.

Cheyenne Mountain is one of our favorite parks in the entire country; hope you will enjoy it. You are fortunate to have reservations.

Note: the closure of US 50 is between Montrose and Gunnison. We are having to revise our route from Silverton to Cheyenne Mountain because of that closure. We will come back around to Durango rather than going on up to Ouray and Montrose.

EDIT TO ADD: That link given by agesilaus above confirms what I have said about traffic on week-ends and also has an excellent chart of all the traffic/closure times.

I read some time ago that traffic may be permitted on week-ends. That wouldn't work for us, but you may want to check that out. Also that there were certain hours each day that would allow traffic. Check it out if your intended route is from Montrose to Gunnison.

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!
Linda B.
Our Blog
FMCA# F412985

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
CO 115 is not an issue. Nice scenery. The only "problem" is that as one gets into the Springs, traffic can get backed up at stop lights. Taken this route dozens of times.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
If Iโ€™m not mistaken that route takes you through Fort Carson. If so that is a very good short cut that we have taken several times.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, thanks we are east of that in Coaldale.
Linda B.
Our Blog
FMCA# F412985

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
You do know about the Hwy 50 closures? Not sure if you are going thru that section
Hwy 50
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper